Chapter 1: long night

"Hi. Im Grace and I'll be your server this evening," I say as i pull out a pen and a pad of paper. "Can i start ya'll off with something to drink?" I have a small southern accent that comes and goes. The people at the table look at the menu. I stand there with a smile on my face. Right before they could order, i hear the doors swing open. "GRACE! GRACE!" I look towards the door to see my 10 year old brother running after me. "Charlie?" I say under my breath. I turn to the table, "excuse me for a moment." The people nod and i walk over to Charlie.

"Charlie, you cant just storm in here and yell my name," i tell him as i pull out a chair and sit him in it.

"But Grace," he says "You didnt come home last night and neither did mommy. It was just me and Lina last night. We didnt know what to do!" Linda is my little sister. Shes 12. "Im sorry Charlie," i say " i had to work a double shift last night so i could get you and Linda some food. I promise I'll be home on time tonight." His eyes start to fill with tears. "Pinky promise Grace?" He says putting up his pinky. I smile and hook my pinky on his. "Pinky promise. Now Charlie, you have to go home. You have the restaurants number if you need anything, call me. Okay?" "Okay," he says jumping out of the chair. "Bye Grace! I love you!" "I love you too char," i say. He walks out of the door and i walk back over to the table i was work on.
"Im so sorry to keep you waiting," i say. "Oh no sweetie," says the older lady. She must be the grandmother. "You're fine." She says with a smile. "Well if you're ready, I'll take your orders now." After their food is served, im called to the kitchen. "Grace," yells my friend Tia. "Charlie is on the phone!"
'Great,' i think to myself. Dont get me wrong. I love my brother, i really do. It's just he can be a handful. I take the phone from Tia with a smile. "Thanks," i say. She smiles and walks away. "Yes Charlie what is it? No Charlie, you cannot go to Parker's house. Because Charlie. I'll be home soon and we will have dinner. Charlie. Charlie...... CHARLIE! Calm down. I have to go I'll be home soon and you better be there when i get home. Okay. Okay. Okay Charlie. I love you too. Okay. Okay bye." Click. I hang up the phone.
I look at Tia. She comes over and hugs me. I start to cry on he shoulder. "Shhh," she says hold my head. Tia is an African American woman. She 25 an is really sweet. She is my best friend. She use to work with my mom at Ginger's, which is a coffee shop just down the road.

When i finally pull away, Tia looks at me in the eyes. She takes a napkin and hands it to me. "Here baby," i take the napkin. "Huh. Thanks." I start wiping my eyes. I look at the clock. 6:30pm. "Shit." I say running to clock out. I have to be home in 10 minutes to make dinner for Charlie and Linda. I hug Tia. "i have to go," i say. Before she could say anything, im out the door.

I get home around 6:55pm and Charlie is playing with his Legos. He looks up and sees me walking through the door. "GRACE!" He yells running and jumping into my arms. "Hi bud," i say picking him up. "Are ya hungry?" He nods yes. "Well let's go see if we have anything to eat." I carry him to the kitchen and put him down. Since my dad died, we could only barley afford a double wide trailer.

I search the cabinets and only find Mac n' Cheese. I begin to cook and Charlie sets the table for three. "Is mom not home?" I ask. Before Charlie could answer i hear "No," i turn to see Linda walking out of her room. "She's not home." She walks into the kitchen and helps Charlie set the table.

Thats the fifth time this week. Since my dad died, she started to develop a drinking problem. She knows very well that we dont have enough money for her to go out and drink every night. When the food is done, i put some Mac n' Cheese on our plates. I fill Charlie's cup up with milk. Linda and i got water. Linda and Charlie start talking about their day. Since its summer, we dont have school. After dinner i put them both in bed. I walk into the living room and started to watch TV as i waited for my mom to get home. I fall asleep watching "Full House". Around 3am im waken by the sound of the door flying open. I jump up and see my mom stagger through the door. She's giggly and cant walk straight. Shes drunk. No surprise.

I walk over to her and help her to her room. "Aw Grace," she says really loud. "Your so sweet!" I sit her on her bed. "WEEEE!" She yells, as she falls on her back. She begins to laugh. "Mom," i say in a loud whisper. "Not so loud! Linda and Charlie are in bed. I dont want you to wake them." "Sorry," she says. I roll my eyes as i help take her shoes off. 'You're a mess mom. How can you do this?' I think to myself. I dont bother changing her clothes. She lays down and i cover her up with the blankets. She out with in seconds. I go to the kitchen and get some Advil and water. I place it on her night stand with a note that said:
'Mom,
Kinda figured you would wake up with a hangover. Take this. Sleep for a while. Love you.
Grace'
I go to the living room and turn off the TV. I go to my room, change into a black tank top with light blue shorts. I pull my long brown hair into a sloppy bun and crawl in bed. With in a few seconds, i fall asleep.

Thanks for reading.! Ill write more! i hope you enjoined. Vote and comment!