[9] Interviews

Crucis hands me a medium-lengthed dress which is gold of course. It looks stunning. It has a few frills and a touch of pink to it.  

"Like it?" Crucis asks nervously.  

"It's beautiful!" I answer with a smile. "But there's one problem... What do I say? What do I say later?" 

"To Caesar?" I nod. "Well, just be yourself. Make people like you. The audience I mean, be pleasant and friendly, just like you are, and you'll do great. You'll be able to get sponsors instantly in the arena, and I know it."  

"Thank you so much, Crucis. Really." I'm grateful that I have Crucis as my stylist. He's like a breath of fresh air.  

"Okay, so got get changed and your other stylists will be waiting here for you to do your hair and make-up.Good luck!" He says, and gives me a friendly peck on the cheek.  

I take my dress and proceed to the small bathroom to get changed. I undress and slip on the beautiful dress Crucis has designed for me. Tonight, I'll be forcing people to sponsor me in the arena. There's no way they aren't going to sponsor me, that's impossible in my case.  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Once my stylists are done with my hair and make-up, I look in the mirror. Beautiful. Katniss can't outshine me this time. What's she going to wear, latex? Hah.  

I step out of the changing room and make my way down the hall. The tributes from District 6 onwards haven't arrived yet. We have to line up, girls in front of boys from the same district. I see Glimmer first up. Wow... She looks great. She's wearing a short pink dress with silver trimmings. So stunning. Well, we're going to be allies so...  

I stand behind Marvel as I watch the other tributes arrive and start lining up. The screen we can watch while waiting switches on as I watch Caesar Flickerman come on stage. He has midnight blue hair and eyebrows this year, while last year his hair and eyebrows were green. He reminded me of a lizard! Well at least this year he looks alright. But Caesar is great. From my past observations, he is really friendly and makes you feel comfortable.  

Glimmer's interview goes well, and so does Marvel's. It's a breeze for them. Well, I doubt it wont be a breeze for me. I'm so ready for this! 

"Now from District 2, we have the beautiful Clove Sevina!" Caesar shouts welcomingly.  

A man escorts me up the small stairs and up to the stage. I walk to Caesar Flickerman and greet him with a smile, as I take my seat opposite him.  

"Welcome! Looking beautiful today, just like in the tribute parade. Let me guess, Crucis?" asks Caesar. 

"Yes! I love his style!" I nod and tell Caesar. I truly do love Crucis' style. Its stunning.  

"Aha!" Caesar laughs. "So Clove, tell me honestly... How did you feel when you volunteered for Laurel at the reaping? Did you even know her?" asks Caesar.  

"Well, Caesar, I was feeling very confident at the time. I'd been throwing knives since I was young, to hunt for my family. I hunt deer, birds and squirrels using nothing but knives. And I didn't know Laurel, I just knew I stood an excellent chance at winning. My mother has hope in me. I have confidence in myself, and I'm very ready to kill. Humans and animals aren't very different, Caesar." I say with a smirk on my face. "Also, during training, I hit the target every time. And I mean every time! I know I'll win." I continue confidently.  

"Wow, we've got a confident one here, right folks?" Caesar laughs, as a cue for the audience to laugh too.  

I suddenly hear a buzzing sound, which signals that my interview time is up.  

"Well that's all of Clove for now, folks! Clove, that was great, and, may the odds be ever in your favour." Caesar says, taking my hand, giving it a friendly kiss.  

I smile and walk off stage, hearing "That was great, Clove." in a soft voice. The voice belonged to Cato. I just nod at him.  

Crucis, Enobaria and Eustacia guide me back to the dressing room as Brutus and Cato's personal stylist wait for Cato. Cato's interview is going on now, and Enobaria, Crucis and I are staying in the dressing room to watch it.  

I see Cato come on stage arrogantly, just like during the reaping as I recall. Caesar greets him with a smile, too, and they both take a seat. Caesar is just asking how Cato's finding training and everything, when he suddenly shifts to a different question.  

"So, Cato! Strong, vicious guy like you. Is there a girl you fancy...?" Caesar asks.  

What? Why is Caesar asking this? 

"Well, no. For me, its all about strength, training and focus. I don't have time for that," Cato answers abruptly. 

What happened to that night on the rooftop? When Cato said he liked me? I am so glad Cato didn't announce he liked me on the national screen, but he said it so quickly, like he didn't even fancy me or any other girl... My chest starts burning but I just ignore it. Why am I weak? What is all this? I'm not supposed to be weak! I'm supposed to be fierce and strong, not like any other girl. Cato Cronin, why did I ever have to meet you? Why did we have to be in the same district?  

Cato's interview ends as he comes to our dressing room. We are sitting and watching all the interviews, and now, it's time for Katniss' interview. No, she's not in latex.  

Katniss Everdeen has outshone me again.  

She's wearing a long red dress with small frills at the bottom and a touch of gold. She's going to be my first kill tomorrow.  

I watch the rest of Katniss' interview, when I'm not paying attention to what Caesar is saying. I suddenly see Katniss twirl with fire coming off from the bottom of her dress. No way. I hate Katniss. She's outshining all the girls. Who does she think she is? I am beginning to think... Katniss Everdeen might just be the strongest person in the arena tomorrow. Confidence level down.  

Now it's the boy from District 12's turn. Peeta. His name is Peeta Mellark, I'm just discovering. 

One thing is bringing my attention. Caesar is asking Peeta the same question he asked Cato.  

"Well, there is this one girl..." answers Peeta nervously.  

"Well I'll tell you what. You win this thing, you go home, she'll have to notice you, right folks?" Caesar says, laughing with the audience.  

"Well, that wont help me in my case, I'm afraid..."  

"And why's that?" 

"Because..." there's a long pause, and with hesitation, Peeta finally continues, "Because she came here with me..." 

Wow. We have a weakling! This will be one easy kill. I wonder what his skills are. Strength, that's it?  

We go to the elevator and head back to our penthouse. I get changed into my sleeping gown and get into bed.  

I lay my head on my pillow, sleeping on my side. It's impossible to get sleep tonight. I'm going to be entering the arena tomorrow. Katniss. Allies. Katniss. She's bugging me the most. I decide to forget about Cato and think of strategies, while I close my eyes.  

Knives. Knives to her heart at the Cornucopia. All these thoughts fill my mind and I drift into a deep sleep.  

***

If you liked this chapter, please vote! Thank you :) SOOOO what'd you think? I know.... The cato part is weirddddd :/ but oh well. ARENA!!!! SOON!! honestly can't wait to write when clove's in the arena. Its gonna be soooooo exciting! Warning: there's going to be a MAJOR twist in the arena. And i mean major. This is my spin on the hunger games ;) please vote, fan and tell me what you think! :) you can tweet me your opinions on twitter @ahutch1999 :) thanks for reading! <3 i reached 500 reads! That means a lot to me! Thanks guys! <3