Evan & Hailey

THIS IS THE LAST STORY! :) AHHHHH! If you would kindly COMMENT and VOTE, that will be awesome! Tell me what you think of this story and the whole collection! ;)

~*~*~*~*~*~*

There’s a special kind of feeling in the air, it only happens at this time of year. When everyone is filled with love and cheer, because that’s what matters.

  -Evan & Hailey-

24th of December, Christmas Eve

“Would you like to order now, sir?” I asked, smiling kindly, taking out the note pad and pen from my pocket.

“Yes, I would like a double cheeseburger set with a large helping of French fries,” he ordered, handing back the menu as I took it from him.

“Okay, that will come right away,” I said, giving him another polite smile before making my way to the counter.

Yes, so you can see, I work in a restaurant and I’m a waitress. Everybody is chatting and having a fun time on Christmas Eve while I’m stuck here in this restaurant — serving people. It’s a sad sight to see if people look at me like that, but it isn’t to me.

I’d rather stay here than go to my own house.

Actually, this restaurant counts as my first home to me. I love the workers dearly. They’re the best family I never had – they care about me a lot. They are counted as my family too.

My mother doesn’t even care about me.

Yes, she gives me a place to stay and such, but aren’t all mothers supposed to do that? Can’t she just act like one by giving me even just the slightest care?

I’m an only child, and I have a mother that changes men almost every week. Now she’s currently with her boyfriend named Nate who I’m pretty sure already has another girlfriend. I caught him red handed once.

He was calling someone else ‘baby’ and saying ‘I love you’ a lot. I collected the information and told my mother but she denied and said that I was just jealous because I don’t have a boyfriend and she does.

Like what?

How can she even say that knowing our age gap? So what if I don’t have one? It’s not going to be the end of the world. It’s not like I was going to get jealous of every couple I lay eyes on.

After she said that, the only thing I thought was when my mother finds out the truth or when he eventually dumps her is that she can’t come running to me for comfort and help like she always does.

I miss my dad so much. He was the only family member that truly cares about me, but sadly, he passed away because he had leukemia. He will always be a part of my heart.

When I’m feeling down, I would usually go to this restaurant and the workers here will brighten up my day every time. It’s really comforting.

“Hailey, what are you doing here?” Emma, a forty year old woman, asked in astonishment. She is a waitress as well.

“Er… I’m a waitress, remember?”

“Yes, Hailey, I’m aware of that, but its Christmas Eve, my dear. What is a young girl like you doing here, serving people? Go out with your friends and have fun!” Emma squealed.

No way was I going to leave her here while I have fun – wait, with my friends? How can I when I don’t even have any to begin with?

“Emma, have you seen the number of customers here? It’s crazy and jam-packed; after all, it’s Christmas Eve! How can I leave you alone here?” I asked, while I get the cheeseburger and French fries the man ordered and placed it on the tray along with some napkins.