Zach & Sarah

Please just fall in love with me, this Christmas. There’s nothing else that I would need, this Christmas. I want something that lasts forever. So kiss me on this cold December night.

-Zach & Sarah-

24th of December, Christmas Eve

"Mom!" I shouted from a distance, grabbing my red scarf and wrapping it lightly around my neck. "I'm going to Zach's house, okay?”

Seconds later, my mom's head popped out from her room and said, "Be safe!"

"I will," I told her. I slipped my feet into my boots, but before I could step out of the door and into the cold weather, I felt the hem of my shirt being tugged.

I looked down to see my four year old brother, Alex, giving me those big brown eyes and asked, “Can I go with you?”

I bent down until I was the same height as he is and said, "But you'll probably freeze to death outside! Do you know how cold the weather is out there? It's crazy."

Well, that was partly the reason why I didn’t want him to come.

"But I want to!" he said, pouting and stomping his foot. My small brother is known for his stubbornness. When he wants something, he gets it. Plus, people usually fall into his trap when he uses his puppy eyes. They can’t resist it. Yes, it’s cute, but I’m already immune to it.

I sighed and wondered on what I should do when my mother came into view.

"Alex," my mother said, "your sister is going to her best friend's house and you don't want to ruin their fun, now do you?"

“But I want to see Zach!” he pouted again, almost in tears.

Poor guy, my little brother really loves Zach because Zach plays with him a lot when he comes over to my place. Not that I don’t – I do. It’s just that Alex likes to play with a guy more and he wants someone who knows his stuff.

When he does talk to me about video games and boy stuff, half of the time I have no idea what he’s saying. I mean, I’m not into those.

Well, I’m not into shopping and girly stuff either. Let’s just say reading books is where I suit and belong.

"Oh no, Alex!" I suddenly said, my hand covering my mouth in fake surprise, "I don't think Santa is going to give you any presents!" I hope he falls into my trap. Needless to say, I’m not the best actress in the world.

Alex immediately stopped pouting and stuttered, "But- but why?!"

"You're pouting! Remember how they say, you better not pout, you better not cry?" I said, repeating the lyrics from the song, ‘Santa Claus is coming to town.’ My mom just shook her head and raised her brow at me.

What, mom? You got a better plan?

"What if Santa really doesn't come?" he asked. His eyes were wide in horror; he looked like he was going to cry again soon.

Okay, now I seem like a bully. “He will, if you stop crying and be a good boy," I hurriedly add in before he starts crying.

Alex just gulped and hastily wiped his tears away, “Okay.”

Good save.

My mother came in and scooped him up into her arms. I gave my mother a big smile. Even though she only rolled her eyes and motioned me to go away, there was a small smile tugging on her lips.

I went outside and snow was effortlessly and heavily falling down. I'm sure if you stand still for more than a minute, you'll probably be piled under the snow. I didn't have a car but I didn't need it anyway because Zach's house wasn't too far, just a few minutes’ walk.