Austin & Alyson

I’m dreaming of a white Christmas, just like the ones I used to know.

-Austin & Alyson-

24th of December, Christmas Eve

"Dad, can you pass me the mash potatoes?" I asked between mouthfuls. We're having a Christmas Eve dinner in my house. There were more than forty people here, including my relatives and all, but what mattered most is that Damon is here, my boyfriend.

I’m aware that I love him way more than he loves me, which people say is a bad thing because our love is not even. And if we ever broke up, I’m going to be the one hurting more. But I don’t care about what they say. As long as he loves me enough, right?

"Sure," he said, handing me the bowl of mash potatoes.

I looked around at everybody's happy faces and I had a warm fuzzy feeling inside. It's good to see that everybody is having a great time, including me.

"Isn't it just wonderful?" I asked, nudging Damon beside me. Damon seemed to be in his own world so I nudged him again.

"Huh?" he snapped out of it and was now giving me a hazy expression.

"I said," I repeated, "isn't it just wonderful?"

He just gave me a brief nod. What's up with him? "Are you alright?" I asked with a concerned tone. It looked like something was troubling him by the way he shifted uncomfortably.

"Look, I think —" he began but someone’s loud voice cut in.

"Everybody listen up!" I heard my uncle said loudly and cheerfully. Everybody turned towards him, giving him their full attention.

"I just want to say, that this is an awesome Christmas dinner, and the food is remarkably delicious! Mary, you should open up a restaurant," he told my mother.

My mother just shook her head shyly and told everyone that it was nothing special. Everybody denied.

"Anyway, I just want to say, cheers for Aly and Damon as well! For being in a relationship for two years and still going strong," my uncle looked at me with a bright smile.

I almost spit out my drink. Everybody's gaze was now averted to me and Damon, making both of us the centre of attention. Have I told you that I hate to be the centre of attention? One of my cousins went, ‘aww!’ My face instantly turned as red as a tomato.

"Uncle Raymond!" I exclaimed, embarrassed.

When I looked at Damon, expecting him to smile back at me teasingly, he didn't. "Cheers for Aly and Damon!" everybody echoed and lifted up their glasses.

After doing a few more cheers, my mother spoke up, "Damon dear, you look a little uncomfortable, is there anything wrong?"

That was the exact same question I wanted to ask as well. I looked at him and waited for his answer, curious to know what was going on.

He was about to speak when one of my relatives voice boomed out. "Let's dance!" The Christmas music turned louder, not letting Damon to finish his sentence.

Everybody was dancing except for Damon and I, and a few others who were too shy to. I took the chance to ask Damon what was wrong.

“Aly, I think you and I —”

That’s when my father barged in and asked why we weren’t dancing. One of my cousins pulled Damon and I out to where everybody was dancing. I was shocked to say the least when Damon shrugged my cousin’s hand away and shouted, "Stop the music! Just stop the freaking music!"