11

MUTT
— 11. Abuse

   It didn't take long after getting on the boat and searching for the Royal Merchant with the right coordinates to find the shipwreck

However, the group of friends became concerned when they went over the shipwreck with the drone to find no gold in sight.

John B sighed in defeat as he, Pope, and Kiara looked over the sunken boat with the drone for what felt like the hundredth time. "It's not there," He complained, "Look, just...just pull the drone up. Shit."

"Look, we can do another pass," Pope insisted, refusing to give up, "Recharge the battery. We can go back down."

John B walked away from his friends, running his hands through his hair as he tried to maintain composure.

"Guys, we've done it, like, three times. There's nothing there," JJ spoke up, feeling as though he was the only one with the courage to admit the truth out loud, despite everyone believing the same exact thing.

"Shut up!" Kiara shouted at JJ, an aggravated look on her face.

"What, Kie?" Rory replied with an attitude, quick to take JJ's side, "JJ's right!"

"The gold could be buried. We don't know," Kiara argued, refusing to give up.

"If it was there, it would've been found on the metal detector, okay?" John B complained, knowing that JJ and Rory had a point, "Somebody beat us to it."

"Or it was never there," JJ admitted quietly and Rory sighed, turning to look at him when she heard what he had said under his breath.

____

That morning, after Rory and her friends decided that there was no point continuing to search for gold they no longer had any idea on how to find, they went their separate ways.

Rory ended up returning home to find that Nico had already left for work. She walked into the house and made her way to the living room. She plopped down on the couch and took out the joint JJ had given to her an hour before. She took out her lighter and lit the joint up before taking her first hit. She blew out the smoke and just as she was going to take another hit, there was a knock on the door.

She groaned in frustration and got up from the couch. She walked over to the front door and opened it, only to become annoyed when she found her mother to be standing before.

"I'm busy," Rory stated, on the verge of closing the door in her mother's face.

Her mother lifted her hand and pushed the door back open, giving her daughter a stern look. "We need to talk," Genevieve demanded in a stern tone, "And I'm not taking no for an answer."

Rory sighed in defeat as she stared at her mother, hesitant to agree. She remained silent and nodded her head, having no other choice.

Moments later, Rory sat on the couch while Genevieve continued to stand as she held her purse. It was silent between them and Genevieve looked down, watching as her daughter attempted to light her joint.