9

MUTT
— 9. Thieves

     After leaving the hotel, Rory sat in the van with the rest of her friends

     After leaving the hotel, Rory sat in the van with the rest of her friends. She sat in the back next to JJ, who was in the middle of rolling a joint.

John B continued to try to convince Pope that going to the impound was necessary, but it was clear that Pope was still not okay with it.

"Pope, we're not stealing the drone. We're borrowing it," John B tried to convince Pope, but still, he was not okay with it.

"Humans are the only animal that can't tell fantasy from reality," Pope recited a quote, causing Rory to turn to him with a weird look on her face.

"Wait, did you come up with that?" John B asked, turning briefly to give his friend a curious look.

"Albert Bernstein came up with it, but it applies to this whole treasure-hunting thing," Pope informed the group in an annoyed tone.

"Cool," Rory simply stated, nodding her head at his words even though she was only half-listening.

"So, which is it?" Pope asked, turning his back to look at John B and Kiara, who were the ones sitting in the front seat, "Fantasy or reality?"

"Why are you so weird, Pope?" JJ suddenly asked, continuing to look down at the joint he was rolling.

"It's fantasy, but possible reality," Kiara replied as she shrugged her shoulders.

"Reality," John B told Kiara, causing the girl to smile.

"Virtual reality," JJ spoke up, his undivided attention on the joint in front of him instead of the conversation.

Rory went into her pocket, taking out a lighter. She moved toward JJ, on the verge of lighting his joint.

Before she could do so, Pope snatched the joint from JJ's grasp and tossed it. "Keep the signal clear," He insisted, causing JJ and Rory to exchange a look as they sighed in defeat.

As the van came to a stop, Rory and JJ continued to give Pope an annoyed look. "You want to know what your problem is?" JJ began to complain.

"You?" Pope retorted with an attitude.

"No! It's that you need to relax, man," JJ complained, pointing his finger at his friend, "You're always so tense."

"I'm not too tense," Pope argued, a frustrated look on her face.

"You really are," Rory spoke up, agreeing with JJ.

"Hey, don't worry," John B told Kiara since it wasn't like anyone else was paying attention to her when she got out of the car, "You got this."

"It's not me that I'm worried about," Kiara complained as she pointed at JJ, Rory, and Pope, who were too busy arguing to listen to them.

As Kiara walked up to the man she was told to distract, the rest of the group of teens snuck out of the van and hid, waiting for the time to sneak into the lot.