PROLOGUE

The Outer Banks, Paradise on Earth

The Outer Banks, Paradise on Earth. It's the sort of place where you either have two jobs or two houses. Two tribes, one island. Figure Eight is the rich side of the island. Home of the Kooks. Then, there is the south side or the cut. Home of the working class who make a living bussing tables, washing yachts, running charters. The natural habitat of the Pogues.

Pogues, pogies, the throwaway fish. The lowest member of the food chain. The downside of Pogue life is being ignored and neglected. But the upside of Pogue life? Being ignored and neglected, which means we can do whatever we want, whenever we want.

Aurora Reyes, known by all as Rory. She always hated her full name because it reminded her of her mother. She, JJ, and John B had been best friends since the third grade, but JJ and Rory had been friends far longer than that. And the nights he didn't spend at the Chateau, he was almost always crashing at Rory's.

She didn't like to talk about it, but she was technically half Pogue, half Kook. Her mom was a Kook and her dad was a Pogue. Her mom left her dad, though, to marry some Kook when Rory was eight, leaving her and her brother to be raised by their father, who was never really around. She hadn't seen him, in, like, ten months, but she didn't really care. It's was normal in her house for him to go missing for long periods of time.

Even then, she still had her friends and her older brother, Nico, who many in Outer Banks were scared of, especially Rory's friends. Even JJ was afraid of him, which said a lot about Nico since JJ wasn't scared of anything.

All their lives, Nico had been super protective of Rory and her friends didn't blame him. She was constantly getting into trouble, especially when JJ was involved. The two of them were always getting into trouble together, whether it be stealing something, running from the cops, or getting high in places they shouldn't.

Nico was always there to clean up their messes every time, even when it came to bailing both teenagers out. He never admitted it, but he actually liked JJ. Reminded him a younger version of himself. It was why he was always hard on him whenever JJ hung around the house with Rory. He didn't want to stand there and watch JJ and Rory go down the same road he did at their age. It wouldn't end well, just like it didn't for him.

But history was bound to repeat itself, just as it did when Nico followed in his father's.

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

I decided to do an introduction-type thing like this cuz why not 😂 I hope you guys end up enjoying this story!! Some things will be changed from when I first published it.