Chapter Sixteen

Our transition ends after a few hours and Phoenix dutifully picks Ava, Katie and me up with Jackson in tow. I kick him out of the front seat so I can be with my boyfriend though.

"Andrew and Kaitlyn were so sad to wake up this morning and find that you two had gone home" Katie says quietly to Phoenix and me.

"I was kinda worried about how they would react to me but honestly, they're amazing" Phoenix says.

"Kaitlyn seems to realise that your presence means that the new baby won't be like her and Andrew" Katie says, thinking.

"It might be" I point out.

"Not with Phoenix here" Katie says. "Derek would never try to take the baby with another man around. Just saying, if you leave it with Susie, she won't let him get it. She still feels so guilty for letting him get his hands on Andrew."

"I hope we can keep it from him forever" I whisper, sitting my hand on my stomach.

Phoenix takes my other hand over the console and gives it a light, reassuring squeeze. Katie reaches forward and lays her hand on ours, adding to the comfort.

"We'll do for this Dek what we failed in doing with Andrew and Kaitlyn, I promise" Katie says honestly as we stop in front of the apartment building.

"See ya later" Jackson says, jumping out of the car with a very uncomfortable Ava.

"Yeah, see ya" Phoenix says, watching them in the rearview mirror.

As soon as the door is shut, Phoenix pulls away from the curb and heads for the Deks'. We all sit in silence, our minds running away with us.

I sit both hands on my stomach and stare blankly out the window at the passing blur of streets, businesses and houses. I'm so lost in thought that I jump a mile when my phone rings. I grab it and roll my eyes at the Caller ID.

I hold the phone up so Katie can see who's calling.

"Pick up or ignore?" I ask her. "I don't really care either way."

"Pick up" she says. "He gets really violent if you ignore him for too long."

I roll my eyes and pick up the phone.

"Derek" I say coolly.

"Phoebe" Derek says, his tone equally as bitter. "I was calling to ask something."

"You never call unless you want something" I say sarcastically.

"Don't talk to me like that" he snaps at me.

"Make me" I snap back.

"Don't anger him" Katie warns me.

"Did I just hear an English accent?" Derek asks innocently. "Why don't you put me on speaker so I can talk to both of you."

I hesitate but do as he says.

"Katie dear" Derek says sweetly.

"What do you want, Derek?" Katie asks, sighing deeply.

"I was actually calling to see if you and Susannah had gotten into contact with the newest Dek" he says. "Then I heard your beautiful accent..."

"Why can't you just leave us alone?" I ask him, aware of the fact that Phoenix's hands have turned white with how hard he's gripping the steeringwheel.

"Because, despite what you all think, I care about my children" Derek says smugly.

"I don't have to let you see Andrew" Katie says angrily.

"And Susie doesn't have to let you see Kaitlyn" I point out. "You already know you're never going to see this child."

"Last woman who tried to keep one of my kids from me is in jail" Derek says.