Chapter Nine - 'Will you be my girlfriend?'

Hallie’s Pov

“Are you two alright?” Matt looked at me with concerned eyes. I gave him a small smile and looked at my brother.

“We are fine, we are both used to it, but thank you anyway.”

“Well I think it’s my cue to leave,” Chris grabbed his books and went to class. I watched him walk down the, now empty, hall and went back to my locker. I didn’t realize I was being followed until I heard a discreet cough. I turned to look at Matt again, and I knew by the look on his face, he was still worried.

“Look Matt, I’m fine, I live with her, I put up with it everyday-“

“Why? You don’t deserve it Hal,” Matt cut me off.

Before I could answer, Matt grabbed his books and walked down the hall to his class.  I guess I will see him this afternoon at the bleachers.

The day dragged on and on, I just wanted to talk to Matt, and see what he wanted to talk about.  It was five minutes until the end of the day, I was tapping my pencil on the table waiting for the bell to ring.

Matthew’s Pov

I left class early with an excuse of a doctor’s appointment, so I could be at the bleachers and to figure out what to say to Hallie. I sat under the bleachers, the bell blared and I knew I was running out of time. I stood up and started to pace, I had finally worked out what I was going to say.

“Matt!” I was knocked over and almost face planted, I laughed and looked up to see Hallie with a smirk on her face. “Have a nice trip Matty?”

“Oh you are so funny Hal. Now help me up.”

Hallie held out her hand and helped me up. “So what did you want to talk to me about?” She looked at me with curious eyes.

I was just about to tell her how I felt but all the words I was going to say were gone, I was speechless. I must have looked like an idiot because Hallie laughed at me. “Cat got your tongue, Lawson?”

I laughed with her for a minute, “I think so,” I looked down at my feet, “Okay, look, Hallie, I need to tell you that I –“

“Hallie!” A girl that I have never seen before interrupted me.

“Oh hey Chyanne,” Hallie smiled at the girl. She had long black hair that framed her heart shaped face, pretty green eyes and plumped lips. ‘Why the hell am I looking at her lips?’

“I’m sorry am I interrupting something?” The girl looked at us both, Hallie shook her head.

“No, this will give him time to think about what he was going to tell me,” Hallie smiled at me and I smiled back.

Taking that as a hint, I repeated in my head what I was going to say.

“Well, I’ll let Mr. Cutie have you now,” Chyanne started to walk off, and when Hallie looked at me, I saw Chyanne wink at me and mouth ‘Call me.’

‘Yeah right, I have my sights on one girl.’

“Earth to Matt!”

I looked down at Hallie and laughed, “Sorry, now shall I say what I need to?”

“Yes,” She rolled her pretty brown eyes and smiled,

“Okay, well Hallie I really like you and I want to be with you, you are beautiful and you are my best friend, but I want to be more than that.” There I said it over and done with. Now for her answer, “Will you be my girlfriend Hal?”

Hallie’s Pov

My heart skipped beat. I was just asked the question, I have wanted to hear from his lips for my whole life, and I just stood there, speechless.

‘Is he nuts? He just broke up with Miss princess, and he wants me? He could have any girl and he wants me?’ I was so stuck in my thoughts that I barely heard Matt speak again.

 “Hallie? Are you alright?”

 “Um yeah I’m fine,” I stuttered.

“I am an idiot,” Matt shook his head.

“No, no, I just need some time to think, if you don’t mind?”

“Yeah, sure.”

“You’ll have an answer by this evening, I promise,” I meant it too.

I saw him smile; I love his smile so I smiled right back. “I’ll talk to you later,” He said walking off towards the parking lot.

“See ya,” I yelled after him.

 Once I could tell he was out of earshot, I grabbed my phone and instantly called Lindz.

“Hey girl, what’s up?

“Hold on, I want Nora in this convo too,” I put Lindz on hold and called Nora.

“Hey Hal,” I merged the call quickly.

“Hey Nora,” I replied.

“So mind telling us what’s going on?” Lindz asked curiously.

“Oh hey Lindz and yeah Hallie what’s going on?” Nora also asked.

“Okay you two would not believe what just happened,” I started off, “Matt asked me to be his girlfriend!”  

Next thing I knew I was pulling the phone away from my ear, because all I could hear was shrieking from the other ends of the phone. 

“OH MY GOD! YOU HAVE TO SAY YES!”  Lindz screamed.

“She probably already did! Please tell me you said YES?” Nora sounded so enthusiastic, I would have loved to tell her I said yes, but I told the truth.

“Actually, I said I would think about it…”

“ARE YOU INSANE!?” Both Lindz and Nora both yelled.

“Maybe?” I replied unsure.

“How long do you have to make a decision?” Lindz asked me.

“Till this evening.”

“Okay well, we know you’ll do what you have to, to be happy.” Nora said making me feel so much better.

After hours of talking about random stuff on the phone with the girls, I had finally made my decision. I said goodbye to my friends and hung up, opening a message, and started typing. This was my final decision.

*******************************************************************************************************

Hey guys, ihope you enjoyed this chapter. :) Sorry it's late, I've had exams all week but tomorrow is my last day and then 10 week hols :D  so i'll be hopefully updating more :)

This chapter is dedicated to @olivesloan :)

Dont forget to vote (: also if you havent yet please check out my new story 'Courage' (:

Love Hayley xo