27

Post homecoming, Charlotte was defending Stefan less and was growing more annoyed with him

Post homecoming, Charlotte was defending Stefan less and was growing more annoyed with him. Klaus had freed Stefan from his compulsion but his humanity was still off and he hadn't returned to being the brother she missed.

Charlotte was so worked up with the anxiety of it all she was barely sleeping more than a few hours each night. The only times she actually did seem to sleep was when she stayed over at Matt's and that was only because he'd stay up talking her ear off until she drifted off, distracted from her worries by his babbles about a television show. She was pretty certain that he only talked that much at night because he knew she couldn't sleep properly but she wasn't going to complain about the distraction.

Despite her and Matt's best efforts, no matter what they did they just couldn't seem to stay out of the supernatural world. No matter what she said and vehemently swore, she couldn't stop worrying about the problems plaguing her brothers and their friends. Charlotte wished there was something she could do to stop this war between Klaus and her brothers, all she could see was it ending in pain.

After the dance, Stefan had taken off without another word and she suspected that he'd done something else to make Klaus mad. They both knew from their summertime how vindictive Klaus could be and yet since their attempted murder, Klaus hadn't said or done anything to retaliate in any form.

His silence signalled to Charlotte that there was a bigger plan afoot and that Stefan had likely done something big. She wished he could've left it well enough alone after he'd been freed from the compulsion because she knew however hard Stefan hit, Klaus would hit back harder.

It'd now been more than a week since Charlotte or Damon had seen or heard from Stefan or Klaus. Damon was still annoyed and drinking excessively, hurt by the betrayal while refusing to understand any reasoning behind it while Charlotte grew more nervous by the day.

"You okay?" Elena asked.

She and Charlotte were at the Grill with Damon, watching as he drank and played darts by himself. 

"What makes you think I'm not okay?" Damon asked, rolling his eyes and pulling the darts from the board.

"Well you're day drunk," Charlotte replied.

Elena nodded her head in agreement, "it's not exactly your most attractive look."

"Oh," Damon approached Elena and Charlotte crinkled her nose, knowing Damon was switching from ranting about Stefan mode to flirting with Elena, "What is my most attractive look?"

"Ah ah," Elena replied, "I'm not saying you have any attractive looks. Just that this is my least favourite one."

Damon glanced to Charlotte, smirking at her disgust before replying to Elena, "Noted. I'll see if I can make any improvements." 

"Don't mind me," a voice broke out behind them.

"Klaus," Charlotte grimaced, Damon moving between Charlotte and Elena, and Klaus as they all turned.