18

"So I'm confused," said Stefan, "If we were such great friends then why do I only know you as the hybrid dick who sacrificed my girlfriend on an altar of fire?"

Charlotte laughed at her brother, he was slurring his words a little, the one shot had been followed by several more and the bottle from earlier was now significantly emptier. Klaus shot Charlotte a glare but really he liked hearing her laugh again.

"All good things must come to an end," Klaus replied, pausing for a beat before launching in to another story about how Klaus and Rebekah's time in Chicago had come to a close.

"You compelled him to forget," said Charlotte, speaking for the first time since they'd left Stefans apartment, ending the lull after Klaus' story having finally put the pieces together.

"That's right my darling. It was time for Rebekah and I to move on. Better to have a clean slate."

"But why?" Stefan asked, "You shouldn't have to cover your tracks. Unless you're running from someone–"

"–story time's over," Klaus cut him off, his face closed off and cold.

"I need another drink," Stefan said, standing to leave with a face as closed off as Klaus' that caused a pit to form in Charlotte's stomach, "A real one." 

Charlotte and Klaus were alone now, she was watching him as he grasped the bottle by the neck, pouring a generous refill into his glass. Charlotte wasn't good at staying mad at Klaus and especially now when he looked so low she didn't want him to feel alone too. She felt guilty watching him so after a moment Charlotte slid over into Stefans seat, sliding her glass to Klaus for a refill as an act of reconciliation.

"Last call," Gloria called out behind them, "Drink 'em up."

When someone slid into, not out of as they should've considering the bar was nearly closed, the seat on Klaus' other side, Charlotte looked up. She'd been expecting Stefan, surprised he'd returned so early. When her eyes locked on Damon's however her breath caught in her throat, heart pounding as he sighed dramatically and shot her a grin.

"I see they've opened the doors to the riffraff now," Klaus said without turning to look at Damon.

"Oh honey, I've been called worse," Damon replied causing Klaus to smile with amusement. He turned, looking past Klaus and smiled at his sister who he hadn't seen for more than six hours in a century and a half, "Hey Charlie, missed ya."

"D," Charlottes voice shook as she replied, "What are you doing here?"

"I told you I'd come get you didn't I?" he replied, not breaking eye contact with Klaus.

Charlotte could hardly breathe. Klaus had wanted to kill Damon when he knew he was just a few miles away, there was no way he'd react well to seeing him here and now. Terror flooded her as she wondered what she could do or promise or trade, just so Klaus would let Damon leave alive.