Fight and Recovery:

Krownest

When Ezra and Sabine walked off the ramp of the Gauntlet, they found her father waiting for them at the base of the stairs that led into the back of the stronghold, a lean figure in silvery grey, highlighted by black and gold.

It seemed wrong to her that her mother wasn't standing at his side in a matched set; his formal wear to her armour.

As Sabine walked closer, she could see his expression of patient welcome, mixed with a hint of relief.

"Father," she said, her voice full of respect and love.

"Daughter." His tone reflected hers and he smiled warmly at her. Alrich flicked his eyes to Ezra and he bestowed upon him a similar smile. "Son."

Ezra's chest swelled a little with pride at the name, to be acknowledged as worthy of this stately man's daughter. "Sir."

"Alrich. Or Father."

"Yes, Sir."

Alrich chuckled, his slanted eyes crinkling with humour. "You'll get it one day."

"Perhaps." Ezra replied noncommittally. He wasn't so sure. The man seemed like an authority figure to him. He doubted he would ever see him as a surrogate father since Kanan already held that position. And calling him by his given name just seemed... weird.

Ezra had no idea why, considering he had no problem calling other older people by their given names. Like Rex.

Sabine squeezed Ezra's hand once before she untwined her fingers from his. Raising a brow at her father, she asked, "Is everything ready, then?"

Alrich nodded as he turned and started ascending the solid stone staircase. "It is. Everyone is gathered in the great hall and those on duty elsewhere around the planet are watching via holocam. Those members were asked specifically if they needed to be at the Challenge ceremony. None said yes."

"That's good," Sabine said, following her father, Ezra one step behind.

A door slid open at their approach after they crested the top of the stairs and walked across the vast stone deck covered in a snow blocking overhang and scattered with tables and benches for when the weather was nice enough to eat outside and enjoy the view of the mountains in the not so far distance.

Inside, staircases led up and down; up to living quarters for the members of the clan who didn't have their own houses nearby, and down to the massive training gym that featured a track, gymnastic equipment, sparring mats, a target practice area, and a pool.

On the main floor, the hallway they walked down had a vast assortment of rooms such as offices, kitchens, more sparring rooms for private practice, a library, a state of the art medical centre, and of course the Great Hall, which was their destination.

The all purpose room was made almost entirely of transparisteel and offered a phenomenal view of the frozen lake, the forest beyond it, and the encircling mountain range. There were no other buildings in sight from within the room on purpose.

At the moment, the Great Hall was filled with people and tables laden with food. And the clan had gone a bit nuts with the decorating. The two story ceiling was dripping with streamers in the clan colours. The windows were framed in greenery. Even the tables had greenery on them wrapped in silver and gold ribbons. The whole place smelled like a pine forest mixed with delicious smelling food. She'd never seen the hall this opulent before. Not even for weddings.

Sabine almost teared up again as she paused in the doorway to take it all in. "It's too much."

"Nonsense," Alrich said, stopping and giving her a one armed hug. "It looked just like this for your mother's coronation ceremony. You deserve nothing less."