Peace in the Valley - Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Christmas Eve had finally arrived. The house was a bustle with activity. Cookies were baking, preparations were being made for the family’s traditional Christmas Eve dinner. Tonya and Brent went to go and pick up Jenny from the train station. That was a big discussion, would Brent go with Tonya and spring the boyfriend on Jenny as soon as she got off the train. It was Tonya that decided, “Well, she is going to find out soon enough, might as well be sooner than later.”

Julie and Nana were in the kitchen cooking when Charlie and Tanner arrived with the tree. The family had found a perfect eight foot tree the day before in the woods and they were bringing it in from the barn where they stored it overnight to decorate after dinner.

Suddenly, the house was filled with Southern grace and attitude as Jenny walked through the door. She was not one of those quiet Southern Belles, she was loud and proud. Laughing at the joy and difference she could see on her daughter’s face. Jenny fell in love with Brent the moment she saw him look at her daughter. He loved her and that was more than enough for Jenny. Once hearing her enter the house, Nana ran to greet her daughter.

“My baby is home.” Nana said as she teared up. Some things never changed, every time Nana watched one of her children come home or leave home, she cried. She could not help it and it became the family joke so much that as soon as Charlie heard the truck pull in the drive, he handed his mother a box of tissues. Now she wished she had not shoved them back at him and told him to “Stuff it!”

“Mama!” Jenny cried. “I have missed you!” She said as she grabbed her mother and hugged her.

“Not as much as I have missed you baby!” Nana said as she hugged her daughter back.

Tanner and Brent carried Jenny’s two bags up to the guest room and came down just in time to help the girls set the table for dinner. And dinner was one of Nana’s specialty dinners and everyone loved it. Ham, scalloped potatoes, bacon fried brussel sprouts, deviled eggs, pistachio salad and every ones favorite red velvet cake.

After dinner, the family gathered in the living room to trim the tree. There could not be enough lights on the tree for Nana. She loved the twinkling lights of Christmas. And Tonya had to agree. Ever since that night in the woods, Tonya had a new respect for twinkling lights. There were old heirloom ornaments that found their place on the tree every year, then there were those new ones that were added this year. Every year, Nana would make everyone in the family a new handmade ornament. This year Tanner and Brent both had an ornament to add to the tree.

“Nana, this is beautiful, you really shouldn’t have.” Brent told her.

“Son, you are dating my granddaughter. Treat her good and the ornament will see more than this year!"

“Well, I plan to be here for the long haul.” Brent said with a smile.

“Welcome to the family.”

For Tanner, he had never been a part of the family that sits around the fire singing Christmas carols before. He sat off to one side, quiet and enjoyed watching the traditions of his new family. Julie brought in some more hot cocoa from the kitchen and handed Tanner a cup and sat down next to him on the arm of the chair. Tanner just smiled up at her, holding his ornament Nana made him. The ornament was in the shape of a hand with a heart in the palm.

“Do you know what that means?” Julie asked as she sat down.

“No.”

“It is an old Shaker symbol to represent putting your hands to work and giving your heart to God. But, for Nana, it has always been a symbol for those that she loves. This is her way of telling you that no matter what, she will always love you. That you are family now.”

“I’ve never...” Tanner stopped, he could feel the tears starting to burn the backs of his eyes and his throat tighten. He pushed the tears away, not wanting Julie to see him crying tonight. Clearing his throat, he began again. “I’ve never celebrated Christmas before. This is my first Christmas present that I can remember.”

Julie leaned over and put her head to his wrapping her arm around his shoulders. “Well, then this is going to be a good Christmas for you then.” And she gave him a kiss on the cheek.

“Jules, I hope you did not go overboard.”

“Nothing I can’t handle.” She pulled away and stood back up. “Now what do you say about helping me roast some marshmallows?”

Tanner smiled and joined her by the fireplace to enjoy the rest of the evening.

The next morning, the family gathered by the tree and gifts were exchanged. Tanner was first, he gave Julie a heart on a necklace and told her later that, “I already gave you my heart, but this symbol will remind you that I love you whenever you look at it.” Julie gave Tanner a laptop. He was a little shocked, but when she explained, “This is so we can stay in touch and video conference when I am away at college.”

Charlie gave Julie a medical bag with veterinary equipment. In the bottom of the bag was her acceptance letter from the University of Florida where she hoped to also complete her veterinary courses within the next six years. Julie cried she was so happy.

The gift that shocked everyone, Charlie handed Tanner a box. When Tanner opened it a piece of paper fell out. Charlie deeded Tanner five acres of the new property. “That will grow, depending on how well we do every season. But, I guarantee you at least one more acre a year as long as you work for me.” Tanner tried not to accept the generous gift, but Charlie told him that he was part of the family and he needed to learn to say “Thank you and then shut up!” So, Tanner accepted it gratefully knowing that he had no intention of ever leaving the farm or this family he had grown to love.