Peace in the Valley - Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Things had been weighing down on Tanner again. He was at peace with his mom's sudden death and the car accident. He had worked through things and his relationship with Julie was great. Better than great. He could not imagine his life without her and he could not imagine his future without her.

Charlie had talked to him and told him that he thought things were moving too quickly. He respected Charlie, and Julie loved her father. But, if it were up to him, they would be engaged already. He loved her, but he knew getting engaged while still in high school was not an option! Charlie had asked him what he wanted to do when he graduated and Tanner was not sure. What he wanted was to stay working on the farm. He had some money saved up, but not a lot, so college was out of the question. He would be eighteen the month after graduation, so Charlie would no longer be his guardian. He enjoyed his work on the farm and seeing Julie all the time was a bonus.

A couple days before Christmas, Charlie came home with an announcement. He called the family together for a meeting. The farm had done well financially the past few years and the mustard crop that they planted this past fall was a huge success.

"We have an opportunity that we need to discuss as a family." He said as everyone, including Tanner, gathered around the dining room table after dinner. "Tom Mitchell approached me today. Because of Heath's lawyer fees and a bad fall crop, Tom is going to have to sell some of his land. He has offered me the land to our north and west at a very good price. I was wondering what you thought?"

"That is great Charlie." Nana replied. "But, can you handle the work? That is a lot more fields."

"Well, that depends on Tanner. I would need him to stay on as foreman and help me. We might have to hire another person or two to help out. We would possibly need to build additional barracks for them if we hire more than a few. It would mean a lot of work once he graduates. But, if he wants to go to college, I will support him in his decision."

"I would like to stay here, sir." Tanner said. "I would help out any way possible."

"Good." Charlie replied.

"Julie, what do you think?"

"If you buy the property, will I still be able to become a vet?"

"Sweet Pea, I would not touch your college fund. Your mama would be so disappointed if I did! This is farm money, not your college money."

"Then I am all for it."

"Tonya?"

"I didn't realize I had a say. I mean, this is your farm."

"This farm has been in our family for generations. I may be caretaker and head of the farm now, but I never want this farm to fall out of our hands. So, as a member of this family. What do you say?"

"I am all for the farm succeeding, my only concern is someone profiting from Heath's stupidity and Tanner's mother's death."

"Well, he is going to sell it to someone, and I would rather us buy it than someone else. Tanner what do you think about what Tonya said?"

"I am OK with it. I would rather this family profit than the Mitchell's." Tanner said.

"OK. It may take a lot of work come spring and I will need everyones help." Charlie said as he closed the meeting.

Everyone had gone about the house to do various things. Julie was reading in the living room, waiting on Tanner, he had told her that he wanted to talk to her father. Tonya was upstairs on the phone with Brent, and Nana was in the kitchen working out her menu for Christmas Eve. That was the big family feast, allowing everyone to eat leftovers all day on Christmas so no one would be stuck in the kitchen on Christmas day.