Fourteen

Morton

The next morning felt good to wake up to. Why? Because today was leaving day! Edward woke me  up around six to get our shit together. His Mama was already up cooking breakfast but let us be to lug the suitcases into the Mercedes. While Edward packed the car, I gathered my things for my shower. My little shower pouch, towel, washcloth, and my little ducky shower cap over my head. I walked across the hall to the bathroom with my hands full and knocked on the door. There was running water coming from behind the door, so I stood by and waited. After two minutes or standing in my robe, the door opened and a cloud of steam came flushing out. Donny glanced at me with nothing but a towel wrapped around his waist. He grinned. "Buenas Dias."
"Buenas dias? Buenas dias to you too, Donny." I looked at him funny. He slid passed me and was on his way to his room. A little hesitant, I thought about my questions sitting in the back of my mind. I tapped him before he got too far. "Hey,"
"Yes?"
"Are you mixed or something? Like what are you?"
"I am Mexican." 
I was a little confused, but I kept asking questions. I got a little excited knowing this man wasn't White either, I didn't feel like the only minority in this damned place. "You know Jeff is racist? How'd you get on his good side? He know you Hispanic? How does he feel about ya'll together?"
Donny listened to me with a small grin, as if he was waiting to answer every one of my questions. "Well, as for knowing, he doesn't. We've been keeping my race a secret." He shrugged. "I've just been telling him I'm White. Daisy told me until the baby was born, that that was the safest thing to do."
I crossed my arms. "Shit, I wish it was that easy for me." Donny chuckled. "I noticed your struggle with him. Edward told me about the hateful remarks. I just don't know why a man so distasteful can hate on such a beautiful woman." He said. I nodded in agreement. "Hell yeah. The man is wild. Straight bonkers. But shit, I'll be leaving today and he won't have to worry about me for a good while." I heard footsteps from across the banister, and Edward came walking on up. "That's it. We're all packed." Edward wrapped an arm around my waist and kissed my temple. "You almost ready?"
"Yeah," I looked at him, then at Donny. Donny looked at him, then at me. "I'm about to hop in the shower."
"Cool. Good morning, Donny." Edward and Donny exchanged handshakes as I closed the door behind me. It was a weird feeling, but everyone was in on Donny's race but Jeff himself. I was glad, or there would be a bunch of spics and eses being thrown around the table, too. And Donny looked like the type of guy who'd fuck a guy up for even uttering those words to him.

*********

"Spill da tea!"

"Girl, for starters, that man is straight racist as hell. But that house was beautiful."

"How was his moder?"

"She was sweet."

"Did you guise fuck?"

"Girl, whatchu think?" 

Anya clapped her hands. " I swear ya'll some freaks!"

"I bet his Daddy heard us, too. Every bump and grind, moan and groan, he heard it right beneath us. Hell, you think we cared, though?"

I told Anya all about our trip. There was no detail I could leave out with the way I spilled all the tea. Edward was back at his office catching up on missed work, so I had all lunch break to my girl. "I need me a White man. You got me craving me some White chocolate, look at you!"

"Shit, get you one. It's worth a long while."

My thigh vibrated. "Hold on." I picked my phone from my pocket and read the text message on the screen.

you been MIA! Stop by my house sometime. Missn' U nd shit. -Rome

I grinned at the text. The thought of Jerome missing me made me feel loved by my friends. "Aye, Anya, what you doing after work?"