Seventeen

Morton

I was leaving for L.A in a day. Edward wasn't so happy about it, even still.
"So Layla isn't even going with you anymore?"

"I told you, Edward, there won't be anyone there to watch her, I-"
"I'll be there to watch her, God, if you actually let me." He stormed passed me to get to his fridge. He opened it and pull out a small bottle of Vodka. "We both wanna be there for you, to support you. You just won't let us." He popped the bottle open with his bare hand and and took a quick swig. I ain't like seeing him drink like that. Whenever he randomly pops open a bottle, it would be because he's stressed. And this time he was stressed because of me. I ain't like that. I sighed and tossed my hands on my hips. "But Edward, it isn't all that serious. It's just like a business trip-"
"It's that serious when you're just getting out of jail and trying to take a plane across the country soon after your release, Nicole!"

"Fine! FINE!" I scrambled at him real quick. "Put that Goddamned bottle down! Fine!" My voice raising. "Buy you a Layla a ticket and fly down there with us." I mumbled, almost as if I didn't want to. I walked over there to him and snatched the bottle out his hand and sat it on the counter.
"We'll be there a day after you check in." Was all I heard as I walked to the back to see my baby. She was sleep and sound on his bed, looking like an angel at rest.
I kissed her forehead softly, and no sooner did her eyes start fluttering open.

"Mommy?"

"Hey Lay Lay." I smiled as she threw herself in my arms. "How you been?"

"Good! Where you been?"

I caressed her kinky curls. "Mommy had to go away for a little bit, but she back. Guess what?" I licked my lips that had dried up. "Me, you, and Ed are going out to California."

"Where is that?"

"It's all the way across the country. We'll have to ride a plane." I told Lay our plans and watched her face glow with each explanation. She was liking this idea. I kissed her goodnight and let her head back to bed, even though she didn't want too. She was gonna be aight, she had a fun day to the airport coming up with Ed. I gathered my things and kissed Edward goodnight.

***

I dragged myself out of bed at 7 just to touch down in L.A. with Aubrey no sooner than 10 AM the next morning. It was something different to fly first priority and first class. And in a jet. But I don't think that prepared me for the press and paparazzi that waited for us at the door. They was definitely waitin' fo' us at da doe.
"Put these on." In his hand were a pair of Express shades. I asked him why and he explained it in one word: TMZ.

"Aubrey! Aubrey! Is this your current girlfriend?!"

"How long have you been seeing each other?"

"My, she's beautiful. Look at that ass,"

"Is it true that you've paid her way through her career?"

"How does it feel to be dating a high end celebrity?"

All I could do was cover my face with my work papers as I followed behind Aubrey. The flashes of the camera's nearly shocked my damn eyes. "Can you get them Damn camera's out my face?" I snapped at one bitch who had her iPhone on full flash all up in my face. As if I won't slap that shit out her face. She looked back at me like like I insulted her mama. Figures, she was as soft and white as a vanilla cone. It was too early for this shit on top of that. Aubrey, he ain't answer to none of the questions but simply guided me to his Lamb. He was all used to it. He opened the door for me and made sure I was in. We drove straight to the hotel and he checked us in with his big and fancy Visa.

I took me a nice bath to recharge from a full day of travelling. I stepped out the bathroom to find  a naked light skin man looking over the city from the balcony window. "Uh, what is you doin?"
"Watching over the city." He just said. As much as I wanted to look away, I failed to do so. The arch in his upper back made him look solid. His little buns looked good from this view, too. I chuckled. "The hail you watching the city fo'?"