CHAPTER 5---THE BLUE STONE

That night, Ruby crawled into bed and dug out the magic bag of stones. She wondered about the other stones, and whether they had certain abilities too. Sure enough, as she opened the bag, the blue stone began to glow. She pulled it out with her fingers and lay it on her belly as she looked up at her ceiling.

A tingling sensation took over her whole body. It was as if she were being petted by a hundred tiny hair brushes. First, it felt strange. Then it felt calming. She fell asleep with the blue stone still sitting on her belly.

When she woke, she found herself in a warm pool of bright, blue water. It felt amazing as she floated freely. She looked up and saw a large, blue creature floating above her. It had wings that were as wide as a school bus. She watched it glide and float in a very peaceful way.

“Who are you?” Ruby asked.

“Hellllllooooooo,” the creature said very slowly, “My name is Bradley and I am a Bindle. You are here because my special, blue stone lit up around you. You must have a brain that is slow to find math skills. You see, I bring the magic of memory speed to you when you need it.”

Ruby remembered that math was especially hard for her, but she never understood why. She did know she could never seem to recall how to start a problem. And she definitely couldn’t remember her multiplication tables. She had always hated math because she was terrible at it.

Maybe Bradley could help her just like Gwendolyn had? She closed her eyes and went under the water. When she came up she was in her own bed.