CHAPTER 4---THE WORLD IS FINALLY QUIET

The next day as she walked to school, she held her hand over the pocket where the green stone sat. She could feel the warmth and the weight of it. Other children passed her, but they had no idea she carried something special with her. Weird Ruby looked just the same to them.

As she entered the hallway to her classroom, she felt different. It was not as loud. The other kids were not as crazy as before. She could make sense of all the conversations around her without feeling upset. She even looked up, made eye contact, and returned a “hello” to another student. What was different today?

She took her seat, took off her coat, and placed the green stone in the front pocket of her jeans. For the first time ever, she felt good being at school. The green stone was like a heavy blanket, surrounding her all day. She smiled, worked, laughed, and actually enjoyed her lessons.

“Hey Ruby,” she heard.

“Uh, yeah?” Ruby responded.

“Ruby, it’s Lizzy. What’s up?”

“What?” said Ruby. This had never happened before. Lizzy lived two houses away but had never spoken to her. Or, maybe she had, and Ruby didn’t notice? Something had changed in Ruby’s brain. All of a sudden, other kids were starting to slow down and make sense to her.

“Ok, well, whatever. But, hey, do you, like, want to walk home together?” Lizzy asked quietly.

“Oh, um, ok,” Ruby said, completely blown away.

So she and Lizzy did. They didn’t talk a lot, but at least Ruby felt like she could hear her. They both had dogs, both liked dipping their french fries in chocolate shakes, and they both had crazy high-top shoes. How had she never noticed that before?

When Ruby got to her house, she said to Lizzy, “Uh, bye, see you tomorrow?”

Cool, maybe we can hang out?” responded Lizzy, while she walked toward her house.

Weird, thought Ruby.

She held onto the green stone, looked up at the sky and whispered, “Thank you Gwendolyn.”

THE MAGICAL STONESOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara