Chapter 10: Avengers and Phoenix Allowed

Nat was in the room when Fury was talking to Loki, looking at Banner, Natasha, Tony, Thor and Steve as she heard him talking about Dr. Banner and the cage Fury had him in was built for what Banner was trying to keep under control. Then she heard what he had to say about her, "You know, that girl you raised has more power than you could ever imagine."

"There is nothing to speak on of Miss McGregor." Fury said and when he came back, he started talking to everyone and when Steve said that the scepter was like a HYDRA weapon, Nat nodded, "I am sure if I tried to melt it, it wouldn't work. Never had luck with those stupid things." 

"Either way, it's powered by the Cube. Roman, come here, please?" he brought Natalie into a separate room and asked, "What the hell did you do?"

"I did nothing. Is it because of what Loki said? He saw me struggling to know where to fit in-"

"No," Fury said and she looked heartbroken, "What do you mean no?" Nat was on the verge of tears when Fury said the next sentence, "You do not know how to wield your powers, and nearly compromised everything. Whether you had spoken to him or not, you are a liability. One I won't allow to go into the field until I feel 100 percent certain you can control yourself." 

"You know, the last time a man wanted to have control over me, I was too scared to defend myself, he got a bullet in the heart and I killed two men without the control and burned down the bar I grew up in with my mother. So excuse me." she said and moved away, taking a seat in the lab with Stark and Banner, listening to them talk. 

At one point, Banner had a good look at her and said, "Wait, you were with Erskine when he made the serum, right?"

"My previous life, yes, but before you ask, focus on the task at hand and before you take off, maybe I can give you the information you seek." she said then with Steve coming in, he asked, "Fury being hard on you?"

"He's right, I'm no hero," she sighed, "I am not cut for this. I'm not who I was."

"I thought I was the king of the pity party," Stark said and Nat stood up, and said, "I'm taking a walk." she left. Having gone down below deck, she thought she heard something before she saw some interesting crates. Finding a crowbar, she hefted the lid off and inside, her heart dropped. Inside was something from her past, the Hydra soldier uniform. Is this what Fury is hiding from everyone?  and thinking she heard someone coming, she left the room, and then heard Natasha in the interrogation room with Loki. "You're a monster."

"I'm not the monster, but you do have one on board." He sneered, then Natasha said, "So your plan is Banner?" As she made her exit, Natalie had done some security details to kill the cameras into the room, as she stepped out into view. 

"Ah, the little bird comes back for some questions." He smirked, Nat looked at him, "Do you mean what you said that if I came to you willingly, you would allow me to be an equal?" 

"Oh, but of course." he said, "You found out something that makes you question everything, don't it?" Natalie looked down, all of it was an answer. "You are a child of the gods, and you must start thinking like that. You are no mere pet for these... humans. To be put onto a leash and not to be allowed to spread your wings. To learn all that you have to offer." He had a point. She didn't feel as though she would belong, let alone be apart of the Avengers Initiate, which was a protocol to gather the world's mightiest heroes, soldiers, and geniuses together in the time of great need.

"What do you say, songbird?" he hummed as a man came into the area behind her and had unlocked Loki's cage, then Thor running through to stop his brother, but instead got locked into the cage himself. Thor looked at her and thought she had been turned, "Natalie, let me out, please. You do not know what he is like." She closed her eyes, not trusting that if she looked at the Norse God of thunder, she would lose this step of courage she had mustered up to walk away from everything she knew. Then when she saw Coulson and then him trying to be the hero, she gasped when he was stabbed, everything was in a blur as she ran to the agent's side, crying and then being pulled away from the dying man as she shouted, "Let me help him! NO! Don't let him die!"

Inside the jet, she had been bound and crying as it hurt so much to see someone whom she had known as she was growing up die in front of her, when Loki bent in front of her. "I can make the pain go away." She couldn't speak, the lump in her throat from crying  kept her from speaking. She wanted all the pain gone, if he could offer that, she would take it. Nodding, she allowed one more tear to fall before he touched her with the scepter and she felt everything going numb, while the other was screaming at her, Natalie finally felt.... relief.