Chapter 2: Pearl Harbor

December, 1941

It had been over two years since the burning of the bar, Natalie had gotten into the routine with the Robertson family in which she helped more than she should have. The family had been having issues with their crops and didn't have the money to hire an extra hand. With Nat there to help them out, they had a better crop that year than they had since their eldest son passed away from Scarlet fever four years prior. And in her helping out, she had gained enough weight to not look like she was half-starving.

Jamie Robertson was a brawly man, when he couldn't afford to take the time to shave, he looked like a lumberjack and both Natalie and the two children, Barbara and Jason, would call him a monster and try to run away. He had some grey hair coming through in his age of prime, though he was 40 years old. His wife, Mary, was 30 years old, with auburn hair and green eyes in which both of their children had inherit her eyes, she didn't look like she had been through the same kind of hell Natalie's mother had gone seeing her die twice. But Nat was glad for the compassion this family was showing her, even though they were scared at first, Natalie had shown them her ability to conjure fire and said to Mary, who was extremely religious, "I am not sure where I learned it, but my mother told me that my father, my biological father that is, wasn't of this world. She called him Vulcan when I asked her about it."

"Dear, Vulcan is not a real person. He is a Roman God of the Flame and forge, there was documented information that he might have been the person who caused the volcanic eruption on Pompeii." James stated and Mary nodded, "He couldn't have helped your mother create you." 

"Well..." Nat looked down, confused on the fact that they would believe that God would have impregnated the virgin Mary and have her deliver His son, Jesus into the world. "I keep remembering the night you two took me in. I think there might be more than I wish to say to you." 

Mary looked at her husband and then asked, "You mean the light? It surely-"

Natalie sighed, "I think that was me. The night you found me, there were two men that came into the bar of my step-father, and because he didn't pay them, they killed him, and thinking of dispatching me and hitting my head, I think there is a lot more than I wish to know." James had brought the paper back the next night, a drawing of someone who called it a Phoenix, and the headline read:

Nazi Project or Freak of Nature?

Nat looked at the two and said, "I was going to go into New York to find a job as maybe an assistant to a businessman or maybe a scientist." A neighbor from a mile up the road looked panicked as he rode through, Jamie asking, "Harold, what is it? Is it Jeanette?"

"No, Jeanette is fine. It's Pearl Harbor. The Japanese bombed the base." Nat had a sinking feeling as Jamie looked like he would punch something as Mary looked scared. "Mary, can you take-"

"No," Nat noted, looking at Jamie and Mary, "I will go. I have nothing else relying on me, you do, Mr. Robertson. You have a wife and two children to look after and the farm. Just promise me you will be here for when I write letters to you." Mary had tears in her eyes as she hugged the girl, who had adapted to wearing boys clothing to work on the farm, and knowing Nat will be heading into New York to sign up for the Army, Mary had a nice pale green dress with a ruffled top and a high waist with short sleeves that was made for Natalie, for when the time she needed it. 

That night, with saying her good byes that were needed to be given before she was to leave early with Jamie, Mary had met Natalie in her room as she got ready for bed. "Darling, you have been a lot of help for us, and to thank you, I had this made for you." Natalie touched the material, her eyes glistened as she memorized the pattern before looking at the woman who had taken her in for the two years. "You have made the two years a lot better to handle, Mrs. Robertson."

"Please, you can call me Mary, Natalie. I enjoyed you being in our home, and God bless you for when you get into the army." She embraced the young girl before she left the room, leaving Natalie in her thoughts as she brushed her hair, which had grown a little down to the middle of her back, light brown hair glowed in the candlelight, and once she felt ready to sleep, she did just that. Thoughts of war, and past lives came through her as she slept.