Chapter 3: Super-what?

1943

Each passing day, she looked upon Dr. Erskine as a parental figure and while she kept her promise to write the Robertson family, she had been getting lessons from Erskine on the science subject as he worked. WIthin the time he had come into the SSR, Nat had been enjoying their talks.

"Natalie, come here," he said, and as she looked at the blue-liquefied material, she asked, "That's it?"

"Yes, but I must find the most selfless person to take it." He looked at her, "While I  find our talks interesting and all that, I mean a man." Nat smirked at the comment he said, and while she already knew they wanted a man, she nodded anyways. "I prefer our talks and I have no need for a super soldier serum."

"Do you know where we will find a subject who would be a start?" He asked, and she thought about it. "Mr. Stark has a show going on tonight, maybe we can check it out while looking for someone. It will be close to the recruitment center, or wait for Colonel Phillips to make some egotistical man become a candidate for it."

"You know what? I will bring you." he said and then noted, "Go grab a civilian outfit and I will meet you at the recruitment center by the concert." Nat nodded and taking her leave, she ran into Colonel Phillips, "McGregor, I came to check on the doctor."

"He needed to rest, but the formula needs to rest," she noted to the Colonel, who didn't like her explanation asked, "And you aren't staying with him?" Nat smirked at the Colonel, "He told me to enjoy the day off." The Colonel was about to say something, but the girl had already left, excited to try on the new dress she had bought, light blue with a bow on the side, long-sleeved and girly enough to feel herself. 

Having changed into her dress, she twirled in front of the body-sized mirror, her curls loose and full of life as she took a walk, then looking at the movie theater, she decided to see the new cartoon that had been released, and having found a seat, she watched the propaganda for getting men to enlist in the army when one idiot complained the first time. Another man had told him to shut up and when she heard the first one talking again, she stood up this time, "Keep that trap of a mouth shut, got it?" and the second man who had told the first one to shut up said to show some respect and got the man's attention to look in their direction. 

At the end of the cartoon, Nat had just walked out when she heard someone hitting a garbage can and then she went over to investigate, and saw the bully beating on the much smaller man when one man in a uniform came to get the smaller guy out of the fight kick the big guy's ass. The man went and ran in her when he smirked, "Hello beautiful." And that was met with a punch from her, and with enough force to break his nose. "Next time you disrespect the men who laid down their lives to give assholes like you a reason to pick on a guy who cannot hold himself, you will meet more than your match." She had been lucky that no blood had gotten onto her dress as the two men came towards them. "Thanks," the man in the uniform said and she scoffed, "Men like that need to be taken a few inches down."

"Sergeant Bucky Barnes, at your service." Bucky nodded towards her and his friend afterwards, "Steve Rogers."

"Natalie McGregor. Pleasure to meet you both." she said and holding out her hand to shake both of theirs, she wondered if Mr. Rogers would have done something differently if he hadn't tried to stick up in the theaters. "Are you both going to the exhibition tonight?"

"Of course." Bucky said, having handed Steve a newspaper and he asked, "Are you?"

"I am with.. a friend." she said, then went over to hug Steve, "Thank you for sticking up to that bully. Mother was a nurse in the first world war. She recently passed."