Chapter 9

* * *

Felix looked at Claude with a surprised look.

Claude, who seemed to be thinking of something on his own, suddenly muttered something unexpected in a cool tone, which made it a wonder for Felix.

Claude, however, gave no explanation to Felix. Now he felt a bad feeling that rose from the inside.

Even though he was wondering if it would be possible, he felt uncomfortable just thinking about it.

If it had been a year ago, he would have just snorted once, even if his ideas were real.

But now he couldn't understand why he felt so annoyed and gloomy..

"Tomorrow, call Athanasia to Garnet Palace."

Claude ordered Felix with a sour face. Then Felix, unaware of Claude's mood, immediately obeyed and opened his mouth.

"I understand, Your Majesty. Do you want the time to be the same as usual?”

"Yes."

Felix was excited at the thought that Claude was finally getting out of office and trying to spend a cozy time with his daughter. And then Claude paused at the ensuing words of Felix.

"It's been a long time since you enjoyed tea time with Princess Athanasia. I'm sure the princess will be happy, too. Your Majesty hasn't been looking for her lately, so she seems to be lonely.”

"Athanasia was lonely?"

"Of course."

Claude's hand tapped on the armrest again. His eyes, staring at the face of Felix , were a little squinted.

"Isn't it natural for the princess to feel lonely since she didn't see you? Just like two days ago, she was wondering why she haven't heard from her father lately."

Felix still carried on the topic with a bright face.

"I'm sure the princess asked about Your Majesty because she missed you. But she knew you were busy, and she never asked to come to Garnet Palace first.... Princess Athanasia is still young, but she's a very thoughtful and considerate child."

Since then, Felix have been so much more concerned about Athanasia's longing towards Claude.

"Athanasia did?"

A sliver of doubt came to Claude's face.

"Yes, I'm sure the princess will be very happy to meet you  early tomorrow morning."

Felix  said with a bright smile as if he would like tomorrow to come fast. Claude stared at Felix for a moment and soon dismissed  him.

"Leave me."

"Yes, Your Majesty."

But Claude's face was less distinctly cold than it had just been. Of course, he didn't realize the least of himself.

* * *

Come to think of it, it was even more funny to feel the change of heart in such a trifle.

Although the distance between Athanasia and Claude was a little less than a year ago, there was still a wall between him and the child.

So the presence of a child could not have made him a fool of himself. Because for Claude, the kid didn't have that big place in his mind

"Daddy!"

Claude thought so and stared at Athanasia running towards him.

Once again, the child was in the arms of Felix, and as soon as she saw Claude, she got on the floor and started running.