Chapter 6: Weekend Trip

Jade returns home after school on friday evening. She is sitting in the kitchen looking on The Slap on her phone. „Hello, honey. How was school?", her mom says as she enters the room.

„Good", Jade answers, like always not wanting her mother to ask her more questions.

„That's amazing. What would you think about going on a weekend trip with your brother and your father's new family?"
„I would rather jump off a cliff!", Jade states, that sounds hoorrible.

„Don't jump off a cliff because you are going!"
„WHAT?!"
„Your dad wants to take you and your brother on a weekend trip to their vaction home in Santa Barbara."

„Oh, I am not going!"

„Come on, Jade. It is an opportunity for you to get to know your sister."

„I don't wanna get to know her!"

„And I could really need a weekend for myself. One without all that drama, so I can get things done."

„You won't even notice me. I will be at Beck's and you don't have to see me all weekend, you will be all to yourself!"

„Jason says he won't go without you."

Jade rolls her eyes. I could really use a break too, she thinks. „Noo, I am not going. I don't care at that point anymore. A weekend with them will be pure torture!"

Two hours later Jade finds herself in her dad's car. Katelyn is sitting in the back middle seat with Jade and Jason to her left and right. Jade is starring through the window, listening to her own music through her headphones and trying not to touch Katelyn in any way. She doesn't know how she could let her mother talk her into that. But from now on there isn't a turning point. She's stuck with them for the next two days and she already regrets it.

„The house in Santa Barabara is pretty cool but my favorite is the house on Hawaii", Katelyn says to Jason, „which is your favorite place to go on vacation?"

„We don't really go on vacation", the little boy explains, „but Jade was in Yerba with her friends last year."

„Yerba?", Katelyn asks interested.

„I hated it", Jade says.

„Jade hates everything", Jason adds.

„Why am I not suprised", Katelyn mumbles but Jade can still hear her.

„There we are", their father says as they arrive.

„Isn't it beautiful?", Karen asks happily.

„Yeah", Jason says.

„Sure, like hell on earth", Jade adds with a sarcastic faked smile.

Their father tours them through the house. „Apart from the master bedroom which will be of course Karen's and mine we only have two other bedrooms."

„I forgot about that part", Katelyn says apparently not happy about it as well.

„So we thought Jason will get the smaller one and you girls can share."
„Can this become even worse?", Jade mumbles to herself.

„Jadelyn? What have you just said?", her father asks agrily.

„Nothing", Jade lies way too obviously, „of course we will do that. I am so so happy to share this small room with my new half-sister that appeared out of nowhere a month ago."

„Oh and we don't have internet nor service here since this is suppose to be a relaxed family trip", their father adds as he leaves them alone.

It just got worse, Jade thinks.