Taking What's His - Chapter 32

Cyril was a vampire, I knew that much. What I didn't know was whether he was a vampire I wanted to allow access into my house. Surely, like my thought process concerning Ashton and Ruby, he could have killed me any of the times I stumbled upon him in the forest, but I wasn't completely sure I wanted to risk letting him in my house now. Before I could refuse him though, our attention was drawn to a car pulling into the driveway.

Mom was home.

We both stood, waiting as she collected her purse from the car and walked to the door, eyeing the both of us with a suspicious raise of her brow. "Hello there." she greeted Cyril as she reached us, looking from me to him as he took a step back from the threshold, a pleasant smile on his face. "Hello. You must be Jenna. Delilah, you didn't inform me that your mother was such a lovely young woman. Though with a face like yours I should have expected as much." Cyril replied, taking my mom's hand and placing a delicate kiss on the back of it.

I paled, knowing for a fact I didn't inform him of her name either. Not sensing my distress, my mom merely smile, the first pink hues of a blush staining her cheeks. "Pardon my rudeness. My name is Cyril Vandolf--I'm a friend of your daughter's." he introduced himself, flashing another charming smile, this time in my direction. My mom's free hand stretched out to shoo me out of the doorway, and still smiling she answered, "My, I haven't met any of Delilah's friends yet. She hasn't told me about anyone she's meet, niether how charming they are. Ah, would you like to come in? It's not polite of us to leave you standing out there in the cold."

I made a quiet noise of protest as he took up her offer and stepped through the doorway, his gaze sliding to me as he did so, a closed lip smile on his face that he probably thought would reassure me but did quite the opposite. "Uh, mom, I kind of have other friends coming over for dinner tonight--" I started, hoping she'd get the hint that he should leave. "Right after the hospital released you? Shouldn't you be resting?" she asked, not turning to even look at me as she set her purse down on the table.

"Yes, Delilah, how are your injuries? I heard you had quite the crash." Cyril voiced as he turned to me, his gaze surprisingly worried as he looked over me. "I-I'm fine. The doctor's just said not to push myself too hard so that I don't reopen any wounds. My ribs luckily set right--and I only need to worry about minor pain they prescribed me some meds for..." I explained, uncomfortable with catching his gaze.

I could feel his eyes on me for a period of time as mom moved around the rest of the house, calling to me from her room that she'd have to go back to work tonight and that she was just stopping in for a few necessities which wasn't really surprising to me. "--She'll leave you here by yourself?" I had been so focused on not looking at him that I hadn't even realized he had shifted closer to me until he was only a hair's breath away. I stiffened, glancing up at him as he looked down at me with his pale red eyes.

"Ashton and Ruby are coming back to spend the night." I answered, lying through my teeth as I didn't know if they were or not. I'd have to ask them now. He gaze was trained steadily on my face and I shifted in discomfort until he pulled back. "It is a shame they were too incompetent to save you from that crash." he spewed from clenched teeth and I watched as his jaw clenched in anger. "What, were you worried about me?" I blurted out, confused by his reaction.

"And if I was?" he asked, glancing at me from the corner of his eye. The thought sent a strange heat through me that stained my cheeks red, and I heard his sharp intake of breath. He could feel my blood heat, and it was affecting him. I took a cautious step back, quickly turning as my mom approach, a small overnight bag slung over her shoulder. "Kisses and hugs--I'll see you later, okay?" she told me as she pulled me into her embrace, not even really looking at me as she did so. "Okay mom, I'll see you soon." I answered in a monotone, a blank expression on my face.

She pulled away, sticking her hand out once more to Cyril. "It was nice to meet you. I'm glad to know she's made some friends here." Her voice was falsely cheery, and I was sure he could hear it as well as I could as he gave her hand a gentle shake. She left the door open behind her as she got in her car, pulling out of the driveway and driving off in less than a minute and leaving the two of us alone. Hands clasped behind his back as he watched her leave, he turned to me, and once again I felt the tingling feeling of hair raising on my arms as I realized that we were alone.

"Well, I think we're both aware of the disturbance I shall cause if I am still here when those two children return. I shall take my leave for now." His hands came from behind his back, and I stood transfixed as he reached for me. One arm wrapped around my torso and pulled me to him as he took a wisp of my hair with his other hand and pressed it to his lips, inhaling my scent. "You do smell simply marvelous Delilah, despite the blood transfusion's." he chuckled, his gaze locking with my own.

I was frozen as he came closer and pressed a kiss against my cheek, leaving the skin cold, yet sending a throbbing heat through my body at the same time. His body lightly rocked against my own, and I realized that strangely, he was laughing. "I shall see you later." he finally said as he pulled away, a smile on his face. I stood dumbstruck as he left the house, locking the bottom lock and closing the door behind him as he sent me once last smile.

I needed to sit down. Shaking, I walked to the staircase, my legs feeling like jelly as I lowered myself down onto them. A large breath escaped me; one which I hadn't even realized I had been holding. What was it with him? And it wasn't only him--both Cyril and Ashton did strange things to me, and the sensible part of my mind screamed that the smart thing to do would to be to stay away from the both of them. But could I, when they both kept showing up uninvited?