Taking What's His - Chapter 27

It was as if we were frozen in time.

A few seconds seemed an eternity as I stared up at him from where I was cradled in his arms. His lips parted, and my gaze was involuntarily drawn to them as he spoke.

"I am not going to hurt you Delilah."

I let out a breath, unaware that I had been holding it in until a pain bloomed in my chest. I could still see the gleaming tips of his fangs, which strangely did not seem threatening anymore after his words. I believed him. I don't know why, but I did. He wouldn't hurt me.

Our moment was broken as I realized that he didn't have to. I was already hurt, and losing blood quickly. "Don't worry--I'll get you to a hospital." Ashton murmured, coming out of his own trance and gingerly lifting me up. I moaned as shards of glass pressed deeper into my flesh, a whimpering cry passing blood-crusted lips.

"Try to stay with me, okay? You'll be alright. I promise." he murmured into my hair, trying to soothe me as he held me close. I squeezed my eyes shut and nodded, my fingertips that were stained with my own blood gripping onto his shirt.

I was barely jostled in his hold, but I could distinctly feel the wind whipping by as he nearly flew me back to town. His breathing was still a big ragged, but he had calmed down otherwise, and I felt an amazed wonder at his ability to control his hunger.

I was becoming conscious of the fact that I would soon no longer be able to keep myself awake. I was losing blood at an extreme rate, and it seemed as if my body itself was becoming lighter. The pain had faded, and I had become numb, nearly drunk on the smell of my own blood.

'Vampires. Creatures that drain the blood from humans, consuming it as their food. Sacred crimson, the only thing keeping them from rotting away as they should. And yet here is one who is desperately trying to keep the blood in my body. It's almost comical...'

"Delilah--h-hey! Stay with me! Delilah! Dammit--!"

* * * * *

A/N

C: Hi. New chapter, I cut this one short because I wanted to make the next part an entirely different one. Enjoy.