Taking What's His - Chapter 38

"Delilah! Seriously, are you crazy?! Why the hell would you just take off like that?!" Erika shouted as I followed behind her, lugging our beach gear behind me. After Demetri had disappeared, I had stood in the same spot he left me for a good ten minutes, replaying our conversation over and over in my head until my brain began to hurt. I was still wondering about why he had approached us today when I went back to the spot where we had left our stuff, and luckily, it was still there. I packed up our towels and folded the umbrella, and had dumped the cooler out since all the ice had melted. I had drug all our stuff back to where I had left Erika, but she had disappeared, and had my purse and cell phone with her. Deciding that the best thing to do would be to head back to the car, I began walking, and came upon her midway, harassing a group of people with a picture of me on her phone and asking them in a hysteria if they had seen me.

I had approached her and stole her attention, as well as her hysterics, much to the relief of the fleeing crowd, and we had started back to the car together while she chewed me out the entire way.

"I can't believe you! I get that he was as hot as Apollo but that doesn't mean you go running after him! He could have been a psychopath! And you were gone for so long and didn't even take your phone-what if something had happened to you? How would I explain to your mom?" She continued rambiling, but I had tuned out, my mind on other things, like the growing pain in my arms from holding all our stuff.

"Uh, Eri..."

"-Could have kidnapped you, or raped you, or even drowned you right there on the beach! And no one would know!"

"Eriii..."

"Don't you Eri me! I'm not finished!" she snapped, whirling on me and pointing a finger in my face.

'Ah, ah, ah. Pointing isn't polite princess. Surely your mother taught you that?'

Demetri's earlier words echoed in my head, and I couldn't help but laugh now as Erika stood beet red in front of me, her finger wavering in my face. I bent over, my hands gripping my knees as I shook with mirth, laughing so hard tears sprung to my eyes. "Th-There's nothing funny about this!" Eri screeched, her fists clenching as she stared down at me with a furrowed brow. I finally got over myself and wiped the remaining water from my eyes and stood up, throwing an arm over her shoulders.

"Come on, let's get going. The sun's down already, and I'm getting hungry." I grinned, pulling her along as we walked to the car.

~

"Damn Delilah, we haven't seen you in ages!"

I was knocked over as my old gang came running and jumped on me, each of them taking a second to give me a suffocating hug until I was between laughing and gasping for breath. "N-Nice to see you all too!" I giggled as they gathered around. It was Sunday, and my last day in Cali. I was back on the road tonight in an effort to make at least half a day at school tomorrow since I had already missed three days with no note, and I was certain my mum hadn't called the school.

Erika and I were at the mall today, and she had managed to get everyone of our old high school gang to agree on meeting up to hang out. There was Isaac, Michael, Kelly, Ray, Taylor and Tanner, and even Val had shown up.

"The old group's back together again huh?" Ray grinned, pulling both me and Erika into a bear hug that we struggled to get out of.

"It hasn't been the same since Erika graduated and you left." Kelly stated, sniffing delicately as she gave me a nod of the head.

"It's gotten boring. And Kelly doesn't have anyone to baby her anymore so she's become a bitch." the twins, Taylor and Tanner snickered, quickly hiding behind Michael as Kelly shot a dangerous look their way.