Chapter Four

The door was opened before I even knocked, but before I could open my mouth to ask, Ruby said, "I heard your car pull up." She wrapped me in a hug, not holding me as tightly as she usually does, for which my sore body was grateful. "You know what we're going to do tonight? We're going to have a sleepover. I'll make dinner and we can do each other's nails and hair as you tell me about whatever that brute did to make you cry and then we'll list all the ways to de-man, kill, and bury him. Wait here."

I stood motionless as she ran back into her house and shut the door, and I had to take a minute to digest what she said before I burst out laughing. The tears rolling down my cheeks now were from my belly-clenching laughter, and I was still laughing when Ruby opened the door about forty seconds later, a small overnight bag in her hand. "Now that's better!" Ruby grinned before linking her arm in mine and dragging me home.

The night passed in a blur, and Ruby was working on my hair when I told her what happened with Ashton. "What an A-class bitch." she sighed, running the hairbrush gently through my damp locks. "Right? He didn't even stop once I accidentally bit my tongue and it started bleeding." I replied with a huff, folding my legs pretzel style. Ruby stopped mid-brush. "He tasted your blood?" she asked, her voice cracking slightly. "Yeah! Most guys would be disgusted but he didn't even stop. I'm positive he knew too." I muttered, shivering slightly in disgust.

"The entire school has probably heard about the incident by now--I don't even want to imagine what Blaire is going to say." I continued as I rolled my eyes. I found out that she always attaches herself to Ashton, and although they're only "fuck buddies" she insist that they're going out. God help any girl who gets to close to Ashton, for they are sure to face the wraith of the bimbo.

I turned to look back at Ruby who had stayed silent this entire time, and I gasped in surprise at the expression on her face. Her normally soft features were twisted into an horrifying snarl, and her unusual mahogany eyes had changed into a dark crimson colour. The rims of her eyes were brimmed with red, as if they threatened to spill blood, but that wasn't the worst of it.

The worst of it was the two sharp fangs that glinted evilly in the dim light of the room. I could feel a cold horror come down upon me and sink into my bones. This was not the Ruby I knew--this was a monster. Her eyes were focused solely on me, and she roughly grabbed my face, forcing my chin upward so that our gazes were locked.

"I'm not sorry Delilah. I don't think it's fair that he's tasted your blood and I haven't. I've been your friend this whole time after all. And you know, 'sharing is caring'. Oh, but don't worry--you won't remember any of this." she cooed, her eyes fogging over as her pupils began to dilate. Her fingernails dug into my skin as she held me still--not like I could move anyway.

I was frozen in fear as her lips grazed over my flesh, and when I felt her fangs sink into my neck I let out a strangled scream. I thrashed about in a panic, but she held me down. My vision began to blur and soon everything started to fade to black. My thoughts about what was happening were incoherent, and I was sucked into a velvety darkness that I welcomed with open arms.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Delilah! If you don't wake up we're going to be late!"

I forced open my eyes and took in two Ruby's swimming before me until they morphed into one. "Are you okay?" she asked with a worried look, her brow furrowed as she placed the back of her hand against my forehead. "I feel like shit." I croaked, groaning as I sat up. "You should after those shots last night." Ruby snorted, pulling away from me. "--Shots?" I asked, my eyes widening. She nodded solemnly. "Long story short you broke out shot glasses and your mom's tequila. You had about three before you went totally haywire and passed out." she explained as she grabbed my hands and pulled me out of bed.

She tossed me a towel and I lamely caught it, my mouth hanging open in shock. "Ugh--I don't remember any of that. Oh my god, I'm so sorry Ruby." I moaned, burying my face in the towel. She chuckled, spinning me around and giving me a small push towards the bathroom. "It's alright Delilah. To be honest it was actually quite funny. Now go take a shower, and be quick about it. We have to be at school in forty-five minutes." she clucked, leaving me to get ready while she finished her primping.

We made it to school in time, but I wanted to do nothing more than turn around and head back home. I got more glares and snide comments then I was used to, and I knew it was all because of my kiss with Ashton. Ruby stuck close to my side, giving death glares to most of the girls who showed their hatred for me outright. "Just ignore them--they'll all probably get STD's and die." she said to me, although it was loud enough for most of the hallway to hear.

I flushed pink and bit my lip to keep from laughing. "Delilah!" I rolled my eyes and mentally cringed at the screech of her voice as I turned around to face an enraged Blaire. "What ever could you want Blaire?" I asked with a heavy sigh, not at all up for a fight with her. I was mentally and physically exhausted, which I'm pretty sure was all due to the tequila. Blaire on the other hand had her claws out and ready.

"You know exactly what! I don't want you leeching your slut self on to Ashton!" she sneered, pointing a manicured finger in my face. I stood blatantly shocked, blinking a few times before I narrowed my eyes at her. "Excuse me?" I asked, my cheeks and the tips of my ears becoming hot. "You fucking forced yourself on him! Are you seriously that desperate for attention?!" she continued, looking down her nose at me.

A chorus of agreement sounded up from the girls in the hallway and Ruby hissed at them threateningly. "What the hell Blaire! I'm the slut? Last time I checked I didn't go whoring my mouth and other parts of my anatomy around like you!" I screamed, shaking in rage and embarrassment.

Blaire raised her hand to slap me, and I shut my eyes, waiting for the blow. A scream broke me out of my state, and opening my eyes I saw Ruby standing in front of me and Blaire in a crumpled heap on the floor, crying as she held an obviously broken wrist. Everyone stared at Ruby in shock, and not saying anything she whirled on me, giving me a look before she took off through the crowd and out of the school.

"R-Ruby!" I yelled, turning to run after her. She was impossibly fast, and I only caught sight of her dashing out the doors of the school and taking off into the great forest beyond. By the time I got outside she had completely disappeared, and not stopping to even think I ran into the misty forest after her.