Chapter 9 - Trailing Coach

On Halloween, as Charleen walked through the school hallway, she was pre-occupied with the upcoming conversation with Matt. She hardly noticed the variety of costumes worn by the students. Princesses, monsters and super-heroes passed by her, unseen.

Is it an interview? I’m under scrutiny by a kid. 

At her office, Charleen opened Deena Swenson’s file. She studied the girl’s photo. 

She’s a cute girl. Is Matt interested in her just because she’s pretty?… involved in girls’ gymnastics ... Parents are separated ...  lives with her mom who works too much … 

Charleen couldn’t guess Matt’s motivation. She’d have to wait.

At lunch time, several teachers were in the staff lounge. A few were eating; while others were drinking coffee or smoking. To celebrate Halloween, a couple of the teachers had donned goofy hats and shirts. Miss Battey, the first-grade teacher, wore a hat that resembled a garden on her head, complete with a bee buzzing around the fake flowers. 

Mr. Jayes, the janitor, entered the lounge. He wore dark blue, dirty coveralls. Charleen had never seen him wear anything different. He rarely spoke, but when he did he usually smiled. Today, as he leaned against the wall, listening to the teachers discuss school politics and other janitorially-irrelevant issues, he seemed to have something on his mind. 

One of the male teachers saw Mr. Jayes. “Hey, I know what you’re dressed as today.” That got a chuckle from the other teachers.

Mr. Jayes asked, “Has anyone noticed a truck parked out past the playground?” 

“What kind of truck?” inquired Mrs. Shelly.

“Dark blue Ford pickup.”

“It’s probably just a parent checking up on their kid,” said another teacher. 

Mr. Jayes said nothing. 

Charleen ate her lunch, thinking that it was a strange question.

In her office, later that day, Charleen called the Urban siblings’ foster family.

“Mrs. Mulholland, this is Ms. Therry, the school counselor. There was an incident yesterday after school. Greg was fighting with two other boys.” 

 Mrs. Mulholland gasped, “Oh Lord, I knew something had happened. He’s been in scuffles before. I’m so sorry. Are the other boys OK?” 

Charleen found it insightful that Mrs. Mulholland assumed that the two boys took a beating. “Yes, they’re fine, now.” 

“Listen, Ms. Therry, you should know that Greg holds grudges for weeks. And he’s mad at you already.” 

“Me? Why?” 

“He thinks that you’re the reason that they haven’t gotten to visit their mom in the rehab unit in Minneapolis,” 

“That’s not true. I made inquiries on their behalf, it just hasn’t happened yet.”

“Now, he’s going to resent you telling me about the fight, too.” 

“Well, he did jump a boy from behind,” Charleen said defensively.

“Oh, it’s right for you to report it. It’s just that, I’m worried for you. This boy has a temper, and if he sets his anger on you, well ...”

“Thanks for the warning. I admire you for taking them in and trying to help. You’re a good person. The world needs more people like you.”

“Thanks. But they need a strong parent figure. I hope we can help.” She sounded sad.