Chapter 13 - Doubts

Charleen woke early Friday, looking forward to the new day. Since Garrett’s death, the sadness had always remained just below the surface of her consciousness. Her job and other daily distractions suppressed it, although not entirely. It was there, hiding like a shark waiting to attack. But not that Friday.

She hummed to herself as she brushed her hair and prepared for work. Charleen selected a pretty dress, an anniversary gift from Garrett, and smiled at the memory as she reviewed the woman in the mirror. The sky began to brighten in the east.

The Case of the Mysterious Student had been solved, the puzzle completed. Feelings of satisfaction and relief mixed with the exhilaration of sharing an exciting secret. It was as if she’d figured out an amazing magic trick. Matt is right about me. But, oh, this is such a secret. 

Plus, having an undercover ally to help the children made her more confident of success. Together, they might even be able defrost the Urban twins…

While she drove to school, she planned how they’d work together. The possibilities stirred her imagination. If students didn’t feel comfortable sharing a problem with her, then Matt could talk with them. Is this manipulative? At least, he could discover if a child was in danger. In fact, Matt could encourage them to share with me, she thought. Charleen hoped to discuss it with Matt during playground duty. 

At school, she didn’t see him in the halls or on the playground. 

She checked with the attendance office and learned that “his father had called him in sick today.” Back in her office, she closed the door and dialed his number. The answering machine greeted and beeped at her. 

“Hello, Matt, it’s Charleen. Please pick up the phone. What’s wrong?” Silence.

She banged the handset onto the phone with more force than she intended, sighed deeply and considered her next move. She had no moves. She just had to wait.

Charleen had a long lunch break, so she decided to go home for lunch and call her mom. She had to get her opinion about Matt. As she drove, she flipped on the radio and listened to The Doobie Brothers sing ‘What a Fool Believes.’

Not pausing to set down her purse, she grabbed the kitchen phone. Mom is going to be so amazed. 

“Mom, I want to discuss something with you.” 

“Yes, Charleen. It’s the middle of the day. What’s wrong?”

“Well, I told you about Matt, the little boy that reminded me of Max.”

“Yes.”

“I’m going to tell you something, but you must promise not to tell anybody else. OK?” Charleen glanced out her window and sat in a kitchen chair.

“Of course, dear. I won’t tell anyone, if you don’t want me to. But what is it? Is there a problem?”

“No, um, maybe ...” Charleen didn’t know what to say first. She leaned over the table and spoke into the handset as if there were eavesdroppers nearby. “Mom, this boy isn’t a boy. He’s really a man! Isn’t that incredible?” Charleen knew her mom would be intrigued.

“What do you mean by ‘He’s a man?’” Mom was intrigued, but apparently not for the reasons that Charleen expected.

Charleen described his disease concluding with, “He’s really 39!”

“That’s rather hard to believe. Why do you believe him?” 

“Well, he can change his voice to sound like a grown man. And he knows history really well,” she said. The sound of her own voice explaining it was unconvincing, even to herself.