Chapter 17 - Belief

Charleen's work day was only half over, and it was already the worst ever. She was seconds from escaping the school when Holly entered her office, holding a page from a message pad.

Holly looked at Charleen and gave an unconvincing smile. "How'd it go today?"

Charleen also tried to put on a good face. "Oh, not real great. Easton quit and he blames me for it." She wondered if she should confide in Holly.

Holly nodded. "Listen, I'm sorry that I said anything about you and Matthew Janson. They were on a witch hunt. I just answered their questions. I had no idea that they were accusing you of—I mean, that's crazy."

She sounded sincere, thought Charleen.

Holly added, "If there's any way that I can help, you tell me. OK?"

Charleen said, "I appreciate that." She glanced at the note in Holly's hand.

"Oh, message for you: Please call Mrs. Mulholland. Here's the number." Holly left the room.

Charleen called the Mulhollands. She had met them once, and considered them to be capable foster parents who wanted the best for the children in their care. She had intended to visit them at their home, since they lived in her neighborhood. But now, she realized that she would not get the chance.

"The Urban twins are missing," said Mrs. Mulholland.

"For how long now?"

"Since yesterday, Sunday evening. We're so worried that neither of us went to work today. My husband and I have called the neighbors and our friends. We think that they went to see their mother; they talked about it all the time. But it was out of our hands." Her strained voice cracked.

"You didn't do anything wrong. Please call the police and give a description. I'll ask the drug rehab unit to call us if—when the twins show up in Minneapolis. Ok, keep in touch."

Charleen had tried to sound optimistic for Mrs. Mulholland, but she knew that often, run-aways are never seen again. After that, she made a couple of calls to the Hennepin county foster agency and the social work department. She did as much as she could then—probably ever. Charleen considered that this might be the last caring action she would take on behalf of her students, at this school.

Charleen collapsed at her desk, overwhelmed and exhausted. She didn't know who to worry about: the Urban twins, Wayne, Matt, or herself. She wasn't good at multi-tasking worry.

The single issue with Matt was more than she could handle. First, she'd believed he was a lonely twelve-year-old student; then, a stunted thirty-nine-year-old man; and finally, a nineteen-year-old lunatic.

And she knew that her job was doomed—over what? A pile of false accusations. She wondered if she should move back home with her mother.

Wait, Charleen, you're getting ahead of yourself. She hadn't broken any written district policies. Maybe she'd only get a formal reprimand in her file. That wouldn't be too bad.

As she obsessed over her worries, a gnawing anxiety compelled her to escape the suffocating office. She could start packing up her possessions later. At that moment Charleen decided to hide out in the teacher's lounge and have a cup of coffee, and maybe take up smoking.

When she walked by the nurse's office, she saw Wayne Zimmerman sitting on the cot, alone, crying. The nurse wasn't in her office. Charleen scanned the hallway beyond the glass wall. The nurse was talking with a priest. A priest!

She turned to Holly, who just sadly stared at her, then nodded toward Wayne, and slowly shook her head.

Charleen could tell: The worst had happened. Shame and guilt instantly filled her heart as if she were responsible for Mr. Zimmerman's death, and had caused it by her dark wish.