11.

➭ 𝘸𝘰𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘸𝘢𝘳

➭ 𝘸𝘰𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘸𝘢𝘳

~✰ ✰ ✰~

"Newsies of New York City." Jack hollered over the large crowd outside. "We won!" Cheers erupted throughout the crowd. I stood alongside Kathrine. Jack held up his hands to silence the crowd. "And now id like to introduce you to my own personal pal, governor Theadore Roosevelt himself!!!" The governor stepped forward into the light.

"Each generation must, at the height of its power, step aside and invite the young to share the day. You have laid claim to our world and I believe the future, in your hands, will be bright and prosperous." He turned to Jack. "And your drawings son, have brought another matter to bear. Officers if you please." A police whistle sounded and I whirled around to see Crutchie limping over to us.

"Hey lookit Jack it's Crutchie" Race cheered, throwing his arm around Ashla, who swatted it off. The Newsies hollered with excitement.

"Hiya fellas! Miss me?" He asked. I grinned widely engulfing the small boy in hug. "And lookit what I got yis: a gift straight from the refuge. Bring em in fellas." Crutchie called. Two policemen entered with Snyder between them. A scowl on his face.

"It's Snyder the spider!" Race laughed pointing at the scowling man.

"He ain't lookin so tough no more, is he?" Mush mocked Snyder.

"Jack, with those drawings you made an eloquent argument for shutting down The Refuge. Be assured that Mr. Snyder's abuses will be fully investigated." I grinned at Roosevelt's words. "Officers take him away."

"Please your highness may I do the honor?" Crutchie asked him. Roosevelt nods and Crutchie takes the hand cuffs and puts them around the spider.

"You've got to be joking!" Snyder grumbled as Crutchie gave him a good kick in the rear.

"And you'll be laughing all the way to the pen "little man"" I snickered at his use of words. "So long sucker!" Jack rushed down to embrace Crutchie in a hug.

"I can't help thinking, if one of your drawings convinced the governor to shut down the Refuge, what might a daily political cartoon do to expose the dealings in our own government back rooms?" Pulitzer spoke looking at Jacks drawings. "What do you say Teddy? Care to have this young mans artistry shine a lantern behind your closed doors?"

"Don't sweat it gov, with the strike settled, I should probably be hittin the road." I frowned at Jacks words.

"Don't you ever get tired of singing that same old tune?" Davey asked walking up to Jack. "What's Santa Fe got that New York ain't? Sand storms?"

"Better yet: what's New York got that Santa Fe ain't?" Kathrine asked with a sad smile.

"New York's got us. And we're family." Crutchie added hopping up to us.

"Didn't I hear something about a strike being settled?" Pulitzer shouted.

"Papes for the Newsies. Line up boys. These papes ain't gonna sell themselves." Weisel called. Some of the boys groaned but lined up.

"Well don't just stand there, you've got a union to run." I said teasing Jack. "Besides didn't someone's father just offer you a pretty exciting job?" Jack scoffed.

"Me work for Kathrines fadder."

"You already do." I pointed out.

"Oh, yeah."

"Besides, you've got me. Wherever you go I'll be there with you." I smiled.

"For sure." Jack asked.

"For sure." I assured. He smiled.

"Don't take much to be a dreamer. All you do is close your eyes, but some world is all you'll ever see. Now my eyes is finally open and my dreams, they's average size but they don't much matter if you ain't with me." Jack sang his eyes locked on mine. Jack smiled picking me up. His hands gripped my waist as he spun me around, his lips on mine.

"Guys!" I heard Les shout. Catcalls and whistles surrounded Jack and I. I pulled away my face burning at all the eyes on me.

"I's knew it!" Race cheered.

"Well Jack... you in or you out?" Davey asked.

"I'm in." He smiled walking over to Weisel. He slapped down his money and picked up his papes. I smiled.

"We'll all be out there
Carrying the banner man to man
We're always out there
Soakin' ev'ry sucker that we can

Here's the headline:
Newsies on a mission
Kill the competition
Sell the next edition

We'll be out there
Carrying the banner
See us out there
Carrying the banner
Always out there
Carrying the banner"  The boys sang as they headed out to streets. Kathrine and I watched as they did flips and tricks.

"Look at me!
I'm the king of New York!
Suddenly
I'm respectable
Starin' right at ya
Lousy with stature!

Glory be!
I'm the king of New York!
Victory!
Front page story
Guts and glory
I'm the king
Of New York!" They now sang, this time Kathrine and I joining in. It was a big party.

"Jack!"  I called before he headed to leave Newsies square. He turned and walked up to me.

"Don't take too long." I smiled. He leaned down and kissed me before rushing off with the other boys. Kathrine and I laughed as we followed our fathers into Pulitzers building. We won.

authors note
hello I would like to say, ashla isn't my OC lol she's Fairylightbxby and I encourage all of you to go check out her book as well! anyways, thanks for reading and have a nice day :)