CHAPTER 6

The following happened between 4am and 5am.

Kim Harrison looked through the letter and appended her signature on it. It was addressed to her team for them to go ahead in distributing a thousand bags of rice to less fortunate families in Malawi and Somali.

She read through the second document and signed again. Let the doctors continue taking care of the sick abandoned children on the streets of Lagos State. Her business was not as great as it used to be. Nonetheless, there were people who were in worse situations that needed immediate help.

She closed the file and thoughts of Richard came into her mind. Poor Richard. She and him loved each other in their own way, not head over heels in love but they cared for each other. And respected each other. May his soul rest in peace. She handed the file to Jerry who together with his wife, Meryl were her housekeepers “Give it to Jean. She knows what to do with it” Kim said.

“How’s Meryl?” Kim asked.

“She’s fine. Our children are with her, ma” He replied.

He and Meryl have been working for Kim Harrison for more than five years now. A job Richard offered them after he found him walking aimlessly with their kids on the streets.

“Have you checked on Angel?” Kim asked.

“She’s still asleep, ma”.

“Thank you” she said as Jerry left.

And she thought about how her daughter, Angel was still unaware that her father was dead.

Jerry returned to her home office and said “Madam, Fr. Mark is here to see you”.

****

“She did it” Jasmine said on the phone to Connor. “Everyone who had feud Richard had alibis” Jasmine said.

“You went to their homes at this hour?” Connor asked.

“This is a murder case. If I’m awake, then any suspect should also be awake!” She fired.

He was silent for a few seconds “how did you get the names?” he asked.

“Easy. I only had to find one foe. And he started telling me names of others who’ve quarrelled with Richard so that I won’t bother him”.

“He was a gambler” Jasmine added.

“Who?”

“Richard of course” she said.

“Then it’s possible…”

She interrupted “that the bitch didn’t kill him? Don’t be deceived. From what I’ve learnt, no one was afraid to let Richard owe him, because he always paid up” She said “In fact, one of them said, Richard never disappoints. So, it couldn’t be a man he owed that killed him”.

“Good job. But, I still don’t think Mrs Harrison is the killer” Connor said and hung up.

What the fuck? She put her hands on her waist. And remembered the way Connor stared at Kimberly Harrison.

Why was Connor trying to protect Richard’s widow? She wondered. She couldn’t be fooled. There was most certainly more to this case.

****

Arnold Okoye, husband of Kim’s best friend, Jean was revising his lecture notes for that day when his phone rang.

He picked up.

“Didn’t you see the message I sent?” The caller yelled.

And nervousness, at once crept into Arnold’s bone and he started tapping his fingers on his desk. Thum. Thum. Thum. “I did but I…”

“But you what!” The caller thundered. “Can’t you obey a simple instruction?” The caller fired at Arnold.

Thum. Thum. Thum. “I…”

“Just shut up!” The caller roared and added, “You’ll get your balance for the job you did before the day is over”.