CHAPTER 42

“Nicole, go back into the house. Your grandma is calling you” Kim said to Nicole who threw the ball in her hands across the field. She was learning to play football because of a boy she liked when she often saw playing the game with his friends.

“Nicole, go back” Kim repeated.
It was 1:45pm and at 2pm, she’ll be hidden inside the prison laundry van and would have escaped from this pit of hell. It was dangerous but, there was no better option. If she got caught escaping, she could be shot on sight. And if she decided to remain in prison, she will die eventually once the governor signs her death warrant. Hence, it was smarter to go ahead with Fr. Mark’s escape plan.

Nicole picked her ball and began returning to her house where her grandmother, Silvia’s mother, Mrs Ajayi stood. Kim waved one last time at Nicole who smiled at her and kept on walking away.

She checked the watch she stole from Silvia’s desk. It was 01:48pm.

And it was time to escape.

******
Fr. Mark knelt down in front of the statue of our Blessed Virgin Mary. He was reciting his rosary. And calling on St. Leonard, the patron saint of imprisoned people and St. Rita of Cascia, the patron saint of impossible causes to make his plans work out. He had done his part. And arranged everything to the best of his strength.

Mother Mary. Please, let all things go well.

******
It was one-fifty pm.

Ten minutes to two.

Kim began running to the utility room. It has been planned that she would be hidden at the bottom of one of the large laundry baskets and put into the laundry van. The right people have been paid to ensure that she gets into the van. A new cloth, money and identity were waiting for her. She continued running.

A new cloth, money and identity were waiting for her. She raced harder. She couldn’t afford to miss this opportunity. She just couldn’t afford to be late. Her life depended on this moment. Her existence hung on these last few minutes. So, lateness wasn’t an alternative.

Heart thumping, the speed in her step increased and her adrenaline, understanding the situation she was in, pumped harder, ‘strengthening’ her emaciated body that had not been fed in the last forty-eight hours. The fear of the risk of this day had not allowed her to digest any meal.

Then out of the blues, she heard a scream behind her.

“Hah!”

Nicole’s voice. Kim thought. However, she kept on running, racing to the laundry room when another scream pervaded the air.

“Hah!”

“Hah!”

Nicole! Mrs Ajayi!

Why are they screaming?

Kim turned around.

Oh my God!

The pool!

Nicole was inside it and she was trying to put her head above it but, it was obvious that she was no match for the water. She’s drowning. Nicole’s ball was also in the pool, perhaps, that was the reason she entered it to get it.

Gboom. 

Mrs Ajayi jumped into the lake-sized pool. The old woman was no swimmer. She was drowning as if a large stone was tied round her leg and causing her to sink farther.

01:51pm. She read the timepiece on her hand.

What am I supposed to do? If she didn’t run away now, a fatal ‘accident’ from one of Queen B’s minions could befall her or rather, her execution date could end up being declared as the following day and she would die without ever seeing her daughter again.

Nicole! Kim thought. The little girl was around the same age with Angel.
She is just too young to die.

Then Mrs Ajayi’s hand came up a little above the water.

The old woman obviously couldn’t save Nicole.

Your life is important! Kim’s mind screamed. Continue running. The utility room isn’t far anymore. A few minutes late, you will miss the two o’clock laundry van.  

However, she started running back to the pool. I can hurry up and save Nicole and Mrs. Ajayi. She thought. I cannot turn my back on them when their lives are in danger. I will be swift in helping them. And then, I’ll help myself and flee this prison.

You are a fool.

You’ll die here.

Turn back.

Queen B will murder you!

The scream of her opposing mind, loud like the beats of an action movie in a cinema.

You’ll die here!

Turn back and run off!

With the speed of a wild predator, Kim sped.

And seconds later, jumped into the pool.

****
Merry Christmas!!! Thanks a lot for how much you supported me in the year 2020!!! THANK YOU!!!!