7

Sam's POV:

May 15, 2019

I was on my way to the airport to pick up my father, Eddie had to go back to work today and my dad planned on being here for a few days. Eddie stayed with me last night at the hospital again, he held me while we slept, I felt guilty because he slept sitting upright while I was able to lie down. Buck had been in and out of surgery all night long, so Eddie and I stayed in the waiting room. Christopher came up for an hour yesterday to see Buck, Eddie told his son that Buck and I were twins and Chris thought that was cool.

I pulled into a parking spot in front of the airport and walked inside, I was pulling at the hem of my t-shirt as I walked. "Samantha?"

I turned to my left and saw my father. I smiled and he pulled me into a hug, I hugged him back and squeezed my eyes shut so I wouldn't cry. "I missed you,"

"I missed you too."

"Come on, I want to try and get you to the hospital before Buck gets out of surgery."

"Alright,"

~~~

The drive wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. It was rather quiet but it wasn't terribly uncomfortable. We talked about Buck's accident, Maddie's new career, and we talked about my teaching degree along with how my lacrosse career ended, I didn't have the heart to talk to anyone about what happened before I left for Stanford. When we got to the hospital, my father rushed in, he followed me to Buck's room and we made it just as he was being brought back into the room. "Buck?"

"Hey, Sammy." He whispered. "Where's Eddie?"

"He had to go to work, he said he'd try and stop by tonight though." My dad looked at me with a confused face, "He's Buck's best friend."

"Who are you talking to?" Buck asked.

"Hey, Buckley."

Buck's head snapped to see our father. "Dad?"

Our dad set his hand on Buck's shoulder carefully, "I missed you, son."

Buck's eyes started filling with water and his reaction made me tear up too. "I missed you too, I can't believe you're here! Is mom here too?" He asked while looking at me.

My smile dropped, both of their eyes were on me. "No, she isn't."

"Why?" Buck asked.

I shook my head and went to reply but Dad did for me, "She's been depressed lately and hasn't been the easiest to communicate with. I'm sure she cares, she just has a weird way of showing it,"

"Dad, does she even know you're here right now?" I asked.

He sighed, "No, she doesn't,"

I nodded, "That's what I thought," I looked at my brother who had a saddened expression, "How are you feeling? That's your 5th surgery in 36 hours."

"I think I'm making progress, I'm starting to feel my leg."

"That's great news, Buck."

He faintly smiled up at me. "Thank you both for being here, I appreciate it."

"There's nowhere else I'd rather be," My dad spoke.

I nodded in agreement. "Me either."

~~~

August 5th, 2019

It had been a long few months, Buck was living at home now and was going to rehab every day. He was getting stronger by the day and we kept in contact with our father here and there. Maddie helped me out on some of Buck's 'bad days' when he would want to give up and just yell at us. The 118 was a huge help as well, Bobby always invited Buck and me to the station to get us out of the house. Chimney and Maddie had us over a lot for games, dinner, and drinks. Hen called almost daily to check up on him but mainly to ask if I was still sane which made me laugh. Even Nic has dropped by a few times to check on my brother's condition, I think Buck has taken quite a liking to Nic and I couldn't even blame him. Nic is the sweetest person I've ever met and she is so patient with Evan.