6

Sam's POV:

May 14, 2019

Before I was even going to attempt a conversation with either of my parents, I had to call Nic first. "Hey, Sam,"

"Hey, Nic,"

"Is everything okay?"

"Not really, my brother's in the hospital,"

"Oh no, is he okay? What happened?"

"Long story. I'd love to tell you the full thing over drinks," I said with a laugh, "A bomb was planted in the firetruck he was in and it ended up crushing his leg,"

"Wait... That was your brother?"

"Yeah,"

"Are you at the hospital with him?"

"I am, I'm outside. There is a beautiful sitting area,"

"Hold on," Nic said and hung up the phone.

"Weird," I muttered. 

I was waiting for her to call back but instead, my name was called, "Sam!"

I looked to my left and there stood my best friend with her scrubs on, "Nic!" I stood up and ran over to her. I hugged her and laughed, "What're you doing here?"

"I work here now,"

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"I wanted to surprise you but I haven't had time with how crazy busy I've been this week,"

"You're the best," I said breaking the hug, "I've missed you,"

"I've missed you too, Sam,"

"Besides busy how have you liked being in LA?"

"It's always busy. Traffic, work, life, always busy," She laughed, "What about you? How's being a teaching assistant?"

"It's wonderful, I'm working with the sweetest boy, Christopher. He's a saint, I already love that kid,"

"That's great, I'm so happy for you,"

"I'm happy for you too. Once things calm down, we should get together for dinner or something,"

"That sounds great, and if I hear anything about your brother, I'll be sure to let you know. I have to run but I'll check in later, okay?"

"Okay, thanks Nic,"

"Anytime," She smiled giving me a quick hug before running off.

I sighed, seeing Nic gave me the boost I needed to call my mother, "Hello?"

"H-Hi, is this Margaret Buckley?"

"This is she, who am I speaking with?"

"Your daughter,"

"Which one?"

I sighed, "Sam,"

"Samantha? Wow, how long has it been? A year? 2 years?"

"Try 4,"

"Wow, it must be important for you to call since I haven't heard from you since you left,"

"Don't try and put this on me, you know exactly why I haven't called you."

"What do you need, Samantha?"

"I called on behalf of your son,"

"Evan? What's wrong with him? Is he okay?"

"Funny you care. He was in a near-death accident, he asked me to call you."