Chapter 3: The painted lady

The gang is in Appa's saddle. Appa is slogging his way down the course of the sludge-infested river Jang Hui in the Fire Nation. Aang and Momo are frolicking in the putrescent water.

Aang: Momo! (Dives into the water.) Oh Momo! (Dives again and Momo flies to Aang.) Hahahahaha! You found me, buddy! (Looks down at the water in distaste and airbends up to Appa's saddle, where he stands dripping in sludge.) Hey guys, I think this river's polluted.

Faith: No kidding. (Aang Airbends the mud off himself, splattering the rest of Team Avatar with mud, which causes them to cry out in disgust.)

Toph: (Tastes mud on her mouth, and spits.) Pah! Plegh! (Aang airbends again, blowing the rest of the mud back into the river and messing up their hair.)

Sokka: Well that explains why I can't catch a fish around here, because normally my fishing skills are off the hook! (Holds up a fishing hook.) Get it? Like a fishing hook? (Grinning.)

Toph: (Countering.) Too bad your skills aren't on the hook.

Faith, Toph, Aang, and Katara laugh as Sokka makes a disgruntled face.

Katara: It looks like we'll need to go somewhere else to get food, (Unrolls a long scroll in front of her.) assuming that'll fit into Sokka's master schedule.

Sokka: Hmmm... It's doable. But that means only two potty breaks today.

Aang: Hey, maybe we can get food there! (Points at a village in the middle of the river.)

Aang hides Appa and Melody, who is in his saddle, under a mat of grass.

Aang: Now you look just like a little hill with horns! Bye, buddy!

Appa groans as Momo briefly reveals himself under some more grass nearby.

Faith, Toph, Katara, Aang, and Sokka approach the river.

Toph: I don't feel anything. Where is the village?

Sokka: It's in the middle of the river! (Pointing at the village.)

A man is standing on a ferry.

Dock: Sure is! My name's Dock. Mind if I ask who you are?

Katara: We're um... from the Earth Kingdom colonies.

Dock: Wow... Colonials. Hop on, I'll give you a ride to the town.

Dock paddles the boat across the river.

Katara: Why do you guys live on the river? (Looking at the village.)

Dock: (Turns his paddle to the right side, pointing at the Fire Nation factory.) Because we're a fishing town. At least that's how it was before the factory moved in. Army makes their metal there. Moved in a few years ago and started gunking up our river. (Faith, Aang and Katara glance sadly at each other.) Now our little village is struggling to survive.

Team Avatar gets off the boat.

Aang: Thanks for the ride! (Waves his hand to Dock, who waves back.)

Katara: Look at this place. It's so sad. We have to do something to help.

Sokka: No, we can't waste our time here. We have a bigger mission that we need to stay focused on. These people are on their own.

Faith: (Chases Sokka and grabs his shoulder.) These people are starving! But you'd turn your back on them? (Puts her hands on her hips.) How can you be so cold and heartless?

Sokka: I'm not turning my back, I'm just being realistic. We can't go around helping every rinky-dink town we wander into. We'll be helping them all by taking out the Fire Lord. (Aang guides Toph toward the arguing friends.)