Chapter 2

Why? Because it was a picture of me. My best friend's match was me. I didn't know whether to be excited or scared. I couldn't speak to him because he had been taken to the travel beamers. The number of teens began to decrease as more people were told their futures.

"Kendra VanDorsen."

I quickly stood up and made my way to the stage.

"Occupation: Artist. Province: Taliannis."

Fantastic! An artist, that's what I have always wanted to be. I already knew where I was going to live, no shock there. I read the screen and had to look at it again. The face staring at me looked like Josh, but the name was completely different.

"Mate: Carter Elliot."

No, no, no, no. How is it even possible? What happened to being with my best friend? Now I had to complete this stupid challenge because my "mate" is the prince of Ulcany. I would probably lose anyways. I quickly got off the stage, thinking hard about what I was going to do. Wait, if I lose I get Josh, right? Perfect. But of course, I still need to compete in this stupid competition. I was pulled away to the air ship when I was Josh, waiting with the group of teens waiting to leave for Taliannis.

"Josh!"

I screamed, squirming to get out of the guards that had a grip on either arm.

"Kendra, calm down. You can do this, I belive in you. Kendra, I...."

I missed the last part because the door of the air ship closed in his face.

I sat in my seat and cried for the entire 2 hour ride to Taliannis. I cried for Josh and I cried for myself. Only I had the luck to be stuck in this situation.

"Welcome to our capital, Taliannis. As soon as you leave the air ship, you will be taken for a complete makeover to beautify your whole body! Please try to enjoy this experience because it will probably be the first and last time going through this kind of transformation."

The Administrator said in her bubbly voice. She is way too happy. We quickly came to a stop and were taken to a gigantic spa and were tortured by waxing and other dreadful procedures. After pretty much peeling off my skin, I was taken to a hair and make up artist. I sat for a good hour, the stylist cutting my long, stringy hair and it landing on the floor.

The stylist finished and I looked at myself in the mirror, not believing that the person in the mirror was truly me. I had short caramel coloured hair. I also had long lashes and pink lips. I would say I looked bad, but I didn't. I looked amazing. I moved over to the dressing portal situated in the corner. It had already been programmed to the standards of my stylist, so i quickly stepped in and the dressing portal sucked up the clothes I had previously been wearing and put the new outfit on. It was a long sleeved top with an empire waisted skirt. I looked pretty and sofisticated.

I stepped out of the dressing portal and sat on the large couch at the side of the large room, my large room. This is the room I would be living in for the next few weeks. The room was easily the size of my entire house. Maybe twice the size. I had never seen a house so big. Then again, living by yourself in a poor province probably wasn't a good thing to compare the lavish life of the capital citizens to. I sat on the giant bed and ran my fingers through the soft material of my bed spread. I knew one thing for sure looking around my new room. I certainly wouldn't be cold.