Thirty two-Quinn

February twelfth. That's the day Sammy died. Today is the one year anniversary. I know something is wrong with me. I keep on thinking that I see Sammy, but then he just disappears. The boys keep on trying to help, but none of them understand. They can't sympathize with me on this. Oh my gosh, I'm a mess. Maybe it's just the realization that he's gone, but I feel so empty now. I'm not sure if the boys can get me out of this slump.

I had hoped for school work to distract me enough. Of course, Sammy never really left my mind. Not today. Although something else was taking a lot of my attention. Callie.

Callie normally sends me glares and attempts to flirt with Ollie, even though he harshly shot her down. Today, Callie's been distant. She hasn't spoken at all, and is in even more of a daze than I've been. Her eyes were filled with a look I have seen countless times before in my nightmares of losing my brother.

The look of somebody who's prepared to die.

At the end of school, which I had done no work in, Alex cuddled me like I would disappear if he didn't. I guess I didn't mind it. Having something real touch me kept me from fading away again.

The others all talked, trying to make a light and cheery conversation to cover up my gloomy mood while we waited for their parents. I wasn't exactly sure why they were coming to pick us up, but I get the feeling it has something to do with what day it is.

The talking stopped when a girl passing by looked up and screamed, pointing to the roof. We all looked, and there was Callie. She stood on the very edge, her plaid skirt swaying in the breeze with her red locks.

No. No way is this happening. I won't let it.

I broke away from the others, darting through the crowd and ignoring their pleading calls for me to come back. I couldn't let them keep me from this.

I stumble up the stairs to the school, and burst through the giant metal door, letting it slam into the wall and making the sound ring through the empty halls. Every student was outside, watching the scene on the roof. I made my way through the deserted halls, my mind filled with horrible thoughts of what could happen.

Callie could jump before I made it to her. She could refuse my offer and jump anyways. She could push me off the edge. Callie could even bring me down with her. So many things could happen—could take her life away. I wasn't about to let any of them happen, though.

I raced up towards the stairs, passing the gym with it's still-flickering lights. I heard the Art Man calling out to me, but blocked him out as I made my way into the stairwell. I took the steps two at a time as I rushed up. I heard the Art Man and other adults chasing me, their footsteps thundering in the stairwell so loud that not even my ringing ears could cover it.

My heart pounded in my chest, full of adrenaline. My breathing was ragged, and every step felt heavier with the growing need to get there sooner than I was going to.

I threw myself out the door to the roof, then quickly turned around and locked it. I had to do this alone, because she would surely jump before the adults tried to grab her and stop her.

"Stop! You don't have to do this Callie!" I yelled as my bully stood at the edge. "Please, don't do this, Callie! You have so much to live for!"

Callie looked back at me with tears falling down her face. "Says the girl who has it all! Parents who love her, brothers to look out for her, smarts, looks! I don't have that! I was held back twice, and I have to wear so much make up to look just somewhat-presentable! Not to mention my mom walked out on me and my dad yesterday!" She cried. "I don't even have a single friend!"

"You think I never suffered?" I asked. "My family is dead, my own mother killed them! I'm just as alone and hurt as you are, Callie! But I'm not trying to kill myself, I'm trying to do the opposite! I'm trying to live! Come down, Callie, let's get off the roof together. As friends." Tears streamed down my cheeks too. I walked to Callie slowly, and held out my hand, praying that she would take it.