Twelve-Foster Man

"That's precious," Chelsea whispered.

We were standing in Alex's doorway. He was laying in his bed as usual, but, instead of being alone, Quinn was with him. We almost didn't notice it, Quinn was so small that we didn't even see the bump in the sheets at first. If it weren't for the faint light from the hallway, we definitely wouldn't have. The cute scene was also showing how much progress Quinn had made. She's getting better, and that makes so many other things better.

I walked into the room and looked at Quinn's face. It was calm, not a single trace of worry could be seen. Her scar was easily seen, though. It was a jagged line that went from her hairline down her right eyebrow. The knife had somehow missed her eye, but continued down onto her cheek.

I traced it gently with my finger and wiped a tear from my eye. How could Marissa do this? She was such a kind and gentle woman. She would cry whenever Josh and I came home with deer during the hunting season, feeling pity for the poor animals. She always laughed through the pain. She always wore a beautiful smile. But now, I can't picture her as anything other than a deranged murderer. One with ice in her veins, and eyes that show no emotion. I have actually had dreams of her, she was in a prison cell, wearing an orange jumpsuit. Good, I thought. That's where she belongs.

Quinn stirred in her sleep and her big blue eyes looked up at me tiredly. I smiled softly at her, smoothing down my daughter's messy blonde hair. "Good morning, sweetie. You can sleep more if you want, okay? Dad was just checking up on his girl. Sorry for waking you up."

Quinn only nodded before shutting her eyes and snuggling into Alex more. I kissed her temple and stood up to tuck her in.

I walked back over to Chelsea when Quinn was once again fast asleep. I hugged her for comfort as she quietly wept.

"You think she was scared of the storm?" I asked after a while.

"Probably, poor thing," Chelsea whispered pitifully. "We should let them rest." I nodded and held her hand as we went downstairs.

"Morning," Camryn said from the kitchen. Devin and Mason were both with her, all sitting down with bowls of cereal.

"I could have made breakfast," Chelsea said to them.

"It's okay mom," Devin said while stuffing his face. "I've got to go in ten."

"I need to get ready for my decathlon," Camryn added.

"Alright," I said. "Mason? Do you have anything going on?"

"No," he smiled. "I was hoping that I could just hang out with Quinn until the decathlon today."

"Speaking of Quinn," Camryn mumbled. "She's normally down by now, I'll go check on her." She stood up to leave, but I cut her off.

"That's alright honey," I smiled. "I already checked in on her, she's fine."

"Okay," she nodded, sitting back down.

It's probably best that the kids don't know about Quinn sleeping with Alex. Camryn might get the wrong idea, Devin will make fun of him, and who knows what Mason will think.

Quinn and Alex came down after another half-hour. Devin was gone and Camryn was putting on her shoes by the door.

"Hey Quinn," Camryn said. Quinn didn't notice her, she was still rubbing sleep from her eyes. "Quinn?" Cam asked. Quinn blinked out of her trance and looked up at her tiredly.

"You alright?" Mason asked. She put her hand over her mouth to yawn, then nodded. "You slept in pretty late," he laughed. She nodded and walked over to the couch.