Seventeen-Foster Lady

I got the call late at night. It was informing me that Quinn's mom was being moved to a mental institution. She would be sent to jail afterwards, but she was too dangerous at the prison to be kept there. She had become a deranged woman.

I thanked them and hung up, then laid down with Ben. We spoke about how long it would be until Quinn would even be allowed to see her mother again. We agreed for her not to see her mother at the hospital, but possibly at the jail.

"It's too dangerous for Quinn to meet her mother at all, in my opinion," I announced, looking up at the ceiling.

"Quinn still loves her mom. It just can't be helped. Even if that woman is deranged and a murdering psychopath, she's still Quinn's mother. Quinn will always love her," Ben replied quietly.

"Still. What if she says or does something? What if everything we've done for Quinn just gets thrown out the window and she breaks all over again?" I croaked.

"This is what Quinn wants. And, maybe, that hospital will help clean her up," Ben argued optimistically.

"I don't think so. I don't think she'll ever get better," I sighed. "I still can't believe somebody would do that to their own child. How insane do you have to be? To kill your own family—to kill your own son."

"Honey, some people just snap," Ben sighed.

There was shuffling and tiny little thumps outside the door that faded away. I just figured it was the dogs and paid it no mind.

Ben hugged me tightly and whispered that everything would be alright. I shut my eyes, giving into sleep.

The school called me in the middle of work the next day. The principal informed me that Quinn and Mason had gotten into a fight. The news was shocking, and I knew that there had been a mistake.

I took off work and drove to the school quickly. I walked into the office and saw Quinn with a bloody nose plugged by tissues and her left eye swollen. Her bandages had been poorly done, like a toddler had done it.

I rushed over to her and pulled her into a tight hug. "Oh my sweet baby, what happened?" I asked.

Quinn sat perfectly still. She didn't speak, didn't write, nothing. She stared down at the ground, refusing to meet my gaze. Her body was shaking, it was like there was an earthquake inside of her.

"Quinn, baby? Please tell me what happened," I begged. Quinn didn't respond. She rubbed her eyes with her sleeves, her shaking increasing. "Please, Quinn, tell Mom what happened. I'll listen, so please tell me."

"You aren't my Mom," Quinn mumbled, her voice hoarse. "I want her back, I want to see her and have her tell me it's okay. I want her to tell me it's all a mistake and that I can go home with her."

"Quinn, baby, you're upset right now and scared, and hurt, okay? You probably aren't thinking straight," I reasoned. Well, I tried to reason. Quinn was having none of it.

"I am." Her voice was so cold and full of hatred. It was also so deadly calm and confident that a shiver ran down my spine.

"Sweetie, your mom isn't—well, she isn't going to get better."

"You don't know that! You don't even like Mom anymore! All of you are stupid, Mom could never hurt people like that!"

Quinn pushed me down and raced out of the room. I scrambled up and chased after her. I saw her running outside, and hurried after her. She was halfway through the parking lot before I could even get down the concrete stairs. She turned left once reaching the exit of the lot and bolted down the sidewalk. I called out for her, begging her to come back, but she continued to run.

I raced after her, but she was too fast to catch up to. A police siren sounded as an officer ordered for us to stop. Quinn kept going anyways, and the police car sped up. She was about to cross the street when the car swerved in front of her. The officer in the passenger seat jumped out and grabbed Quinn as she tried to go around the car. She screamed and cried as the officer held her tight.

The driver got out and walked up to me. "What's going on here?" He asked.

"My goddaughter wants to find her mother. I told her no, but she ran away," I explained. "Thank you, officer, I couldn't have caught her on my own."

"Hey!" The officer wrestling Quinn yelled. "Hurry up and help me, Joe!"

The officer and I ran down to them. I was ordered to stay back, so I did. I watched as the officers fought with Quinn until she finally gave up. She sat on the ground and cried quietly. I knelt down and cupped her face. "You can't just run away!" I yelled as tears rolled down my face. "Do you want to be taken away from me too? Huh?"

"No," Quinn mumbled.

"If you run away the social worker will come and take you away! You'll live with strangers! At least with me you have people who know you! And what about your siblings—my kids! Wouldn't they be devastated that their baby sister ran away?" I continued.

"Ma'am," one of the officers said softly.

"Quiet!" I snapped, turning to glare at him. They backed off, thankfully.

"My mom," Quinn whispered, making my attention go solely onto her again. "I want to see my mom."

"Quinn, your mom is very sick. She has to be at a hospital to be taken care of," I explained softly.

"What's she sick with?" She croaked.

"It's a special kind of sick. One that can only be treated at a special hospital. We can't disturb your mom there, or else she can't get better. Do you understand?" I asked

"That's not why," Quinn argued, glaring up at me. "I heard you guys talking, you think she's dangerous."

"She is, because of the sickness in her head. When she gets better I'll take you to see your mom, I promise," I assured, rubbing her arms soothingly.

Quinn's scowl faded. "Promise me," she said quietly.