Chapter 8

The rock was cold against their faces as they strained to listen to the five and the Original speak. It was all Breecan's idea to eavesdrop on them, and Sander was eager to know what they were talking about. They both leaned against the stone of the door and their ears were pressed onto it so much that they could very well be part of it.

"Bud, you hear anything?" Breecan whispered.

Sander shook his head. His ears were straining to hear any words at all, but nothing passed through the rock. He gave up trying and walked away from the door while Breecan was glued to it. Without warning, the door swung open and Breecan was squished back behind it as the five and the Original walked back in, looking very distraught.

"What's the matter?" Cora asked Hamish.

Hamish waved her question away. "We will be leaving for a little while and you are supposed to stay here and wait for us."

Sophia leaped up from where she sat in the dirt and stated, "But usually only one of you need to leave at a time, why do all five of you need to go?"

Artur spoke up. His voice was deep and slow. "This is very important and requires all of our attention. We're very sorry to go, but we have no choice." He said the last part while glancing at the Original.

Why do they all fear her? She's not that terrifying, Sander thought.

Suddenly her eyes darted to his and stared at him. He felt his heart stop.

Holy-how the hell did she know I was thinking about her?

She rolled her eyes at him and then walked around the cave once more before she broked the ominous silence. Everyone held their breath as they watched her, even Breecan who managed to crawl out from behind the door. She stared everyone in the eye, and held Sander's gaze for a moment longer before taking a deep breath.

"It's about time I take off," she said.

Zoey and Viviana quickly flew over to her and held her arms.

"Oh no! You can't leave yet!" Zoey protested.

"It's been a hundred years since you've spent time with us!"

"Yes! And besides, someone's got to look after these little birds!" Zoey exclaimed, looking at Sander.

"We don't need a babysitter," Sophia said angrily.

"I never said babysitter, I said to look after," Zoey snapped.

That made the girl smile. "I guess I have nothing better to do."

The five smiled in relief and the old women hugged the Original. It was obvious that the girl was uncomfortable, and she made it very clear to the old birds, but they didn't care. When they released her, Zoey flew over to Sander and stood before him.

"My grandson," she said quietly. Sander smiled at her. "I have known you your whole life, and I wished I could've met you earlier in life, but now is goodbye...and we'll see each other again."

What an odd goodbye. Sander hugged her and Hamish gave him a small clap on the shoulder as the five walked out of the cave. When the door shut Sophia pouted and her brother Tom mocked her, resulting in them having a stick-out-your-tongue argument. Breecan was silent as he walked over to a small tunnel and entered it. A light came in through there which lured everyone toward it, including the Original.

Through the short tunnel was a smaller room with two couches, a dinner table with eight chairs, cabinets and a small kitchen adjacent to the dinning area, a coffee table, a fireplace against the wall opposite the couches, and a flat screen TV on the stonework above the fireplace. Breecan was sprawled on the couch with the TV guide on and his wings hanging over the back of the couch so his back didn't hurt.