s e v e n t y - f i v e

WHEN I ARRIVED, AT THE FOREST, THE WEREWOLVES WERE IN CONFUSION.

They were not fighting.

"What happened... Weslyn?"

It was West.

"You're not fighting?"

"We were, but, there was this flash of light and all the Brown Wolves started to shift, into their human form."

"That light was from the Angel."

"What?"

I explained to him what happened. And as I explained to him, Anna place her head on his heart, while she hugged him.

"We stopped fighting when they shifted from that light, Weslyn."

"Anna." I prompted. That caught her attention. "Can you see if there are Werewolves who need healing?"

"Werewolves? Both Gray Wolves and Brown Wolves?"

"Gray Wolves... Brown Wolves... From, now on, that doesn't matter. The Luna Pack protects both Gray Wolves and Brown Wolves."

She smiled and moved towards where the members of the Pack and the Brown Wolves were resting.

And then, I asked the important question.

"Where's Mary?"

"I don't know."

"I'm here, Wes."

There was silence that followed those words.

Maryanne Grant was behind me.

When did she get there? How did she get there?

I had not sensed her approach us.

I grabbed my dagger and turned to defend myself from her.

But, Mary did not attack.

She gestured at the Brown Wolves. 

"They were as pathetic as I thought they would be."

"They're not pathetic!" Anna screamed, glaring at Mary from where she was tending to the wound of a Brown Wolf. "How dare you, Mary? You made them fight for you. You're the one that's pathetic. They're not pathetic!"

"Don't be a bitch."

"Watch your mouth, Mary."

At the sound of the voice, of her Soulmate, her eyes momentarily flickered from black to silver.

"What do you want?" I demanded.

"Do you want this War to end?"

I stared at her, in disbelief, that it was her, Mary, who had approached me, for this War to end. 

"Yes."

"Then, I'm prepared to end it with us, one-on-one."

"End it one-on-one?" I repeated. "Alright. But... The question is, Mary, can you kill me?"

"Oh, I can, Wes."

Her eyes turned gold. It was a gold that resembled the light of the sun. And her gold eyes were not the eyes of a Gray Wolf.

"I have power from Aelius."

The Angel of the Sun... Aelius.

"How?"

"You should understand. After I left Gray Valley, I was not looking for a way to save Brown Wolves. You should understand that I was looking for a way to kill you. And the way to kill you, is to break through your protection, with the power of the Angel of the Sun, Aelius."