t w e n t y - s i x

HE DIDN'T ANSWER. Instead he only nodded.

"My father's worst nightmare."

"You shouldn't care about what he thinks, Martyn," I answered after I recovered from my shock. I may have urged Martyn to respect his father earlier but this was different. No one had the right to separate soulmates. "You're allowed to love whoever you want; even more because of the mate bond. It doesn't matter who or what they are... But you can't possibly stop yourself from loving. You shouldn't try, either."

"Thanks, Weslyn. But-"

"I promise you... I will never let anyone hurt him, alright? Now, let's just go outside." I made my way to the kitchen with Martyn behind me, when I heard shouts coming from the room.

"We should kill the miserable creature; put it out of it's misery," it was undoubtedly Michael's voice. "The Brown Wolf must die." He was talking about Bryan. I turned to look at Martyn but he had already ran ahead to confront his father.

"No! You will not hurt him, father!"

"What do you know about Brown Wolves, Martyn? You're just a boy!" Michael roared. "A naive, little boy."

"And you are just a conceited old man who is too prejudiced to treat others equally."

"Don't you understand, Martyn? I just want what is best for you," he murmured. "I want to protect you from those beasts."

"Do you think I'm still a child, father?" Martyn asked, addressing Michael bitterly. "Do you think I need to be protected? I used to wonder why she left, you know? But now I get it. Maryanne left because of you."

"Oh my Luna... He just brought Mary into their fight." I glanced up, startled that I hadn't noticed Liam standing there before.

"Is she his mother or something?"

"Sister," he replied.

"Martyn has a sister?" I didn't recall seeing such a person in real life or in my memories.

"Her name is Maryanne Grant and she practically raised Martyn after their mother passed away. She should be around 23 now, but she left when West came to power."

"If Mary were still here," Martyn gritted out. "She would be on my side... You know that."

"Martyn," I called. He turned to me, his eyes darker than usual. "I'll talk to Michael about this matter. Please go on with your affairs."

He bared his teeth at his father and clenched his fingers into fists, before leaving the room loudly.

"Remember, Weslyn," he murmured quietly, as he left. "You promised me." I nodded silently in reply.

"You, too, Liam," I added, turning to look at him.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, Liam," I responded. "I'll be fine. I just need to talk with him."

He looked at me one last time and left the room, leaving me alone with Michael.

"Michael Grant," I greeted.

"Alpha."

"I'm hearing too many displeasing things from and about you, Michael. I've barely even spent a day in this position. Don't get on my bad side."

"Is that so? If I may say so, I don't believe I have done anything wrong," he objected.

"I'm afraid I can't let you hurt Bryan or Bryanna Mitchell," I explained. "You see, they're bound under the Promise Code and are loyal to the Grayson family." Michael opened his mouth to argue but I hastily continued to speak. "However, tonight I am meeting with the future Alpha of the Bronze Pack and coming to terms about the packs. I believe so that we will also come to an agreement about the Bryan and Anna."

"The future Alpha," he repeated.

"Yes, Michael. So I must ask you... Can I trust you to lay low - at least until the meeting is over."

For a minute he didn't answer. He only stared at me, his face, thoughtful and eyes, distant.

"Your wish is my command, Alpha."

"I will get going, then," I said, turning to leave. "And Michael," I went on. "Please accept Martyn for who he is and don't try to change him."

"Of course, Alpha." There was a certain strain to his voice, but I chose to ignore it. Michael was a man with a twisted anti-feminist mind... Of course he was reluctant to obey me.

More importantly, I had to go find West. I had to ask him what the agreement was and how I was to talk to the Brown Wolf Beta. There were more pressing matters at hand.

For a while, I would have to put Martyn and Michael at the back of my mind.