t w e n t y - e i g h t

"YOU MUST BE BETA WALKER." In the next room, I could just make out Liam greeting the Beta of the Bronze Pack. "I'm Beta Moonstone for technical purposes, but everyone calls me William."

"Nice to meet you... William." That voice. I couldn't stop this feeling from fluttering in my chest, as the Beta's deep voice echoed in my ears. By Luna, what the hell was going on? "Is it true that you're the Alpha's soulmate."

"Yeah, I am."

"That makes sense... You look fairly young for a Beta."

"You don't look too old, yourself," Liam commented and I could almost hear him smile. But my heart wasn't into listening to him. I was too distracted by the other voice; the sound of Beta Walker. "But I guess you're right. I'm almost 18. What about you?"

"I'm 19," he answered.

"Really, now? You made it sound as if you were years older than that."

"You won't understand until you reach my age, but turning 18 is actually a big change," he stated. "You'll suddenly feel much older... Maybe, it's just a Brown Wolf thing, though. For us, it's a time of mid-life crisis."

The age of 18 was about the half-way mark of a Brown Wolf's lifespan... I hadn't given it much thought before, but it was true. In another 20 years or so... Bryan and Anna would start to suffer. It wasn't at all fair, but it was the balance of nature and no one could stop it.

"I shouldn't have said that."

"You had no idea about it," I pointed out. "So, it's okay, Liam."

"Can you come join me before things get too awkward?"

"Don't worry, I will."

I took a deep breath to compose myself and stood up from the chair, making my way into the next room.

"Good evening," I greeted, stepping into the hall. "I believe you are Beta Walker of the Bronze Pack."

"That's me, alright."

His skin was tanned, with dark brown hair that brought out his complexion flawlessly. I felt my skin tingle, as I breathed in his warm scent. Warm. There was no other way I could describe it. His eyes were the deepest brown; I ever saw... And looking into them, I felt a strange sense of deja vu. But when had I felt it, before?

Liam. That was when I felt it. The first time I met him, I felt the same way. The instant captivation of his eyes, the tingles in my body and the warmth I sensed - it was everything I felt from Liam. But that was because Liam was my mate. And that... It wasn't possible.

I pushed back my thoughts and the tried to ignore how fast my heart was pounding, as I looked directly at him.

"I am Weslyn Grayson, the Alpha of the Luna Pack."

"You're a Grayson Alpha?" he asked, astonished. He stared at me, his face filled with awe. "I had no idea, Alpha Grayson."

"Please, Beta Walker," I smiled slightly. "No one calls me that. Weslyn will do."

"And you can call me Blayze." Blayze. Blayze Walker. I stretched out my hand to him and he lifted his palm to meet mine.

It was when our hands touched, that I felt it. It was the same feeling I had when Liam and I first made contact.

I knew it. I knew the feeling. It wasn't possible. It wasn't possible to feel that way about someone else. But at the same time... I couldn't deny what I had felt.

I felt the spark.