I'm a Gentleman

(Nicole)

Friday

"V I'm dying I need some caffeine!" Nicole, the other legal secretary, said as she laid across the desk. I chuckle. "Long night?" "YES!! I went to downtown and bar hopped and I'm dying!" "I'm not gonna lie, I need something too, Starbucks run??" "Oh my God yeessss! I need a Chai Latte in my life!" she says all dramatic. I laugh, "I got you" I smile grabbing my debit card, writing down a few orders.

I step outside the building of the firm. "Orale chica" I hear a familiar voice say. I groan and continue walking. "Hey so you're just going to ignore me" the voice says following me. "What do you want Mando?" I say annoyed not stopping or turning around. He runs past me and begins walking backwards so I'm face to face with him. I stop, place my hand on my hip and smile. "We need to talk" "I'm busy" I say walking past him.

I step into the Starbucks. "Welcome to Starbucks, my name is Becky, what can I get you?" the short perky girl said from behind the counter. "Let me get a grande Java Chip Frappuccino-"

Mando puts a $50 bill on the counter, "I'm taking care of the pretty lady's order Becky" he says smiling, winking at me. "My hero," I say sarcastically, "I'm paying for my order Becky, let me ge-" "what? is my money not good enough for you" he says in a serious tone.

Becky is smiling from ear to ear, "honey let him be a gentleman and treat you" she says taking the bill. "Yeah let me be a gentleman" he says with a smirk. I roll my eyes, "in that case don't forget a venti Chai Latte, a grande green tea creme frappuccino and a tall pumpkin spice latte" I look at him and smile, "coffee run" I say sassily.

Becky giggles, "name?" "V" "Ok your total is $19.59 your change is $30.41, here you go" she says extending her hand with the change to Mando. "That's for you Becky" he says with a smile, "and take your time making the coffee" he winks. "Oh my God thank you! do you want like a cookie or something?" She asks with a grin. "Something sweet like you" he says suavely. She giggles, blushing and hands him a cheese Danish.

I groan and walk to the end of the counter. "Sabes we need to talk" he says taking a bite of his danish. "Yeah you keep saying that but so far I'm hearing a lot of BS coming out" I say staring at him furrowing my brows. "Calmate. How about I take you out after work?" "Mando..." I say placing my debit card in my jacket pocket, while grabbing the drinks, "if I didn't want to talk to Spooky, I sure as hell don't want to talk to you" I walk away opening the door with my back and walk down the street.

Mando runs past me to the door of the building the firm is in. I stomp my foot in frustration, "I have to get back to work Mando" "V... please?" he said in a sincere tone. I sigh, "meet me at Titos Food truck. I want a pupusa" "I'll meet you here and we ride over" he said firmly. "FINE" I agree reluctantly. He opens up the door, "I'm a gentleman remember?" He says smiling.

Later that day

"How's your pupusa?" Mando asks drinking from the straw on his styrofoam cup

"How's your pupusa?" Mando asks drinking from the straw on his styrofoam cup. "Mmm" I mumble taking the last bite and giving him a thumbs up. I wipe my hands on a napkin, and drink from my cup, "Vas a hablar?" I ask. He eats a french fry and nods. "How are you?" "Full" I respond annoyed, interlacing my fingers leaning forward on the table, "what do you want Mando?"

"Ok V," he leans forward, "why are you so mad at Spooky eh?" I sit up straight. "Because that fool loves you, he treated you good, and you just left him hanging" "He left me hanging first" I say in a loud whisper. "He came back for you.WE came back for you" "Mira sabes que I had this same conversation with Spooky and I don't need to repeat it" I say standing up. "Sit!" he demands. "I'm not a Santos!" I yell slamming my hands on the table, "I don't have to listen to you!" I argue staring Mando in the eyes.

"Vamos a aclarar el asunto" he begins, "that day it was both of us stuck in that garage, tied up" I sit down shaking my leg. He continues, "I told you that when Spooky got there they are going to make him choose: me or you. Santos or his ruka. To live or die. Porque if I stay they were going to kill me and Cuchillos would kill him. If YOU stayed, WE would come back for you because those fucking Prophet$ weren't going to do anything to you. Quedamos claro at that moment. What changed?" Mando had a cold look to his eyes.

My eyes watered, "Did he know what they could do to me?" I whispered as a tear fell from my eye. He moved the food trays aside and grabbed my hand. Tears rolled down my cheeks everytime I blinked. "No" I nod pulling my hand away, wiping my tears. I got up and began to walk away, crying harder.

He threw out the trays and ran to me. He grabbed my arm, I pulled away and kept walking. "Is that what you think?!" he said outloud. I stopped. "That we set you up, eh? You think Spooky's the type of man to let his hyna get fucked and beat by other men" I turn around. "I didn't until he did. He couldn't protect me. Who's to say that they don't try it again? How much can he really love me if he LET that happen!" I yelled as the tears rolled down my cheeks again. Mando pulled me towards him, I wrapped my arms around his waist and began to cry onto his chest.

"You love him?" he asks holding my head. I step back wiping my eyes, "if I didn't it wouldn't hurt so much" I shrug. He puts an arm around me and we walk towards our cars. "Mando. I think the Prophet$ are searching for me" He stops us and turns me to face him, "whatchu mean?" "there's been multiple home invasions on my street, all of them give the same description: young, moreno, in a green and yellow Continental" "Mutherfu-" "And that day, Johnny B said to me that even if Spooky gets me that he will find me" "Has anything happened to you?!" I shake my head. "Let's go, I'ma follow you home"

***

I stood in my living room as Mando checked the upstairs bedrooms. "You have a nice place" he says coming down the stairs. "Thanks" I respond smiling. "You want me to stay a bit" "no, I'm fine, Thank You" I say sincerely. He hugs me, "talk to him V" I lick my lips, "I just need some time. Goodnight" He nods. "Call me if anything" he reminds as he walks out looking around. I close the door, rest my head against it. My head hurts. I head upstairs to shower and go to bed.

***Love Mando and V's relationship.😍****