Prologue

"Tae, stop it please." Jeongguk begged his twin. Tears stained his cheeks as he held his older brother back.

"I'll stop if you'll stand up for yourself." The older declared, looking back at his younger brother who stood quiet. "That's what I thought." Taehyung continued walking towards the cafeteria, not wanting to waste time.

His body felt as if it were on fire as he pushed the cafeteria doors open. His eyes searched the loud room. Stalking like a predator looking for it's prey. A small content smile left his lips as he seen the person he was searching for.

Saying nothing he creeped behind the tall figure, pushing him down to the marble floor. The room went silent.

Taehyung flipped the boy so that he was on his back, then straddled him. "What the fuck, man." The boy mumbled, looking Taehyung in the eyes.

Anger. That's all Taehyung could feel. Images of Jeongguk's bloody face flashed his memory. Not being able to control himself entirely, he punched the boy in the face.

Punch after punch after punch. He was blinded by rage. He couldn't hear the screams of the other students. All he could hear was the sound of his own heartbeat pounding in his ears. He felt no pain, being numb in the moment. He was unbothered by the blood splattering on his face and clothes. Contentment filled him up as he watched the boy under him choke on his own mix of saliva and blood. He wanted nothing more than to end the life beneath him. Swiftly, he wrapped his hands around the boys pulsing neck. A smile formed on his lips as he realized how easily it would be to snap the boy's neck.

"Stop it already! He's practically dead." Jeongguk screamed in his brother's ear. Slowly he wrapped his arms around Taehyung's waist, resting his head on his brother's back. "Look at what you've done."  Jeongguk cried out.

Suddenly Taehyung didn't feel numb anymore. His eyes widened as he took in the scene before him.

The once white and black marble floor was now covered in fresh, red blood. The boy below him was covered in fresh cuts. Blood seeped out of his broken nose, his bottom lip split open. The boy's breathing was shallow and sharp. He was unrecognizable and practically lifeless.

Taehyung's eyes wondered down to his aching raw knuckles. Panic filled his eyes as he seen the amount of blood he was covered in. Though the panic was soon replaced with fear. Not fear of what he'd done, but fear of knowing he'd do it all over again. Fear of not being able to protect Jeongguk. Fear of losing himself in insanity.

"How do you feel?"

Taehyung rolled his eyes. Ever since he'd beaten, the boy who bullied his brother, halfway to death, everyone asked him the same question over and over again. He never knew how to answer. If he were to be honest the answer would be, "I feel fine, wouldn't change a thing. I'd do it all over again." Though answering like that would make him seem like a complete psychopath.

"I feel..." Taehyung turned around and stared at his brother. The only person on earth who visited him in the shit hole he was in. "...better."

"That's good." Jeongguk smiled, that little bunny smile of his. "So uhm... you have like a year and a half left in here?"

Taehyung nodded, his eyes fixated on his white and black jumpsuit. "Yup, just a year and a half to go." His words came out a little more sarcastic than he'd wanted them to.

"Why'd you do it?" Jeongguk observed his brother's face. "I mean I know why you did it, but why'd you have to go that far? Why did you have to put yourself in this place?" Jeongguk looked his twin in the eyes. "Now you've gone and joined a-" Jeongguk cut himself off, he didn't even want to mention it.

Taehyung sighed, he knew his brother was right. His brother was right about most things anyway.

Leaning forward, Taehyung glared at his younger brother. "You don't know what it's like in here, gguk. I had to join some sort of 'gang' for protection."

Jeongguk rolled his eyes, "You could have stayed alone-"

"Look, gguk, I tried so hard to be alone for the first month. It wasn't working out..." Taehyung groaned, pinching his nose. "...do me a favor, don't tell mom about this yeah? I'm doing this for us. When I get out, I'll be able to get us some money. Mom won't have to work as mu-"

The younger twin stood up, slamming his fist against the cream table. "I can't do this Tae. I won't tell mom, 'kay? Please just stop getting yourself into trouble."

Taehyung sighed as he watched his younger brother walk out of the building. He wished his brother understood him. Sure he was probably being selfish, but he wanted to help his parents get out of the debts they were in.

"Sup man," said Hanbin, Taehyung's cell mate, as Taehyung returned to their shared, assigned cell.

"Hey." Taehyung mumbled, staring mostly at the wall.

Hanbin smirked, staring eagerly at Taehyung. "Look, I have a job for you."

Taehyung's eyes widened, he hated to admit it, but maybe he wasn't as tough as he thought. The minute he accepted joining the group, he hadn't imagined the things they'd make him do. He also hadn't thought about the consequences of not being able to leave, he'd never have a normal life. He was slowly coming to regret that.