Chapter 31

Me + editing = :(

I'll admit it, this chapter gave me...problems.  I'm not really used to writing this type of relationship.  Hate is more my thing, but alas I hope it makes somewhat sense.   If not, lemme know and I shall fix n stuff.  

Please, for the love of my sanity let me know what you think?  Nikki needs feedback, especially when attempting to edit, when she darn well can't, takes such a toll on her nerves.  

Also, this will be the last cover.  What do you think?  Next update I'll have everyone pick their favorites from all of the ones I've used in the past and use that cover permanently from that point on.  

Again, please gime feedback.  Pretty please?

*Also, those of you reading Staked...let me know what you think of this chappy.  ;)*

Chapter 31

___________________

It really was him, she realized as the light from the field illuminated that pale skin.

She wasn’t hallucinating. 

He stood by the doorway, dark eyes taking her in. From her body curled haphazardly on the floor, down to the hockey stick still clutched in her shaking fists.

He didn’t move.  Instead, he just tilted his head to the side, eyes narrowed, and said; “Your heart is racing.”

Sure enough, it was.  Miriam could feel her blood pulsing through her veins in a manic swish.  She couldn’t even catch her breath. 

Everything felt shaky. 

But, as she glanced up, pushing the hair from her eyes, she had to wonder whether the reaction was from fear or…

Something else. 

“You’re here,” was all she managed to say.  But there was so much more to it than that. 

You’re here.  You’re real. 

I’m not going insane. 

And, maybe most pathetic of all…

You didn’t leave.

He didn’t answer.  Taking a step forward, he allowed the shed door to close behind him so that the artificial light fully washed over his face.

His jaw was set in a firm line, eyes smoldering—but he didn’t speak until she finally managed to loosen her grip on the hockey stick and shove it aside. 

He was over in an instant, nearly blocking her in with his massive height alone. 

“Are you alright?”

The concern in his tone surprised her.  Maybe even thrilled her a little bit too.

She couldn’t deny it. 

It confused her, and she couldn’t keep herself from joking—her nervous habit—even as her heart thudded like a sledgehammer against her ribcage.

“Do you really care?”

It was the wrong thing to say. 

Those red eyes flashed, and he pulled back as if she’d slapped him. 

“I’m s-sorry,” she said quickly, reaching out.  “It’s just that…”

Just then, she made the mistake of looking up, into those amber eyes and promptly lost her voice.  That gaze sucked her in—wide and open and insanely worried.