Chapter 26

*In keeping with my cover tradition, I this weeks lovely creation comes from the very talented walkingXonXstars.  (her stories are amazing guys!)

If you want to make me a cover, I'm still accepting new ones.  Just message me!

I worked on this chapter late last night and then woke up early to edit it again, but I *know* I missed some things.  I just didn't want to delay anymore--so some things might be a little off.

Don't be rude about it, just point them out and I will fix them.  As always, let me know if something doesn't make sense.

Thanks for reading!*

Chapter 26

________________

They drove in utter silence.  It was odd—for a moment, they could have been some bizarre family on a scenic drive through the mountains.     

If it wasn’t for the fact that their car was careening down the road as if trying to match the speed of light.

Or that the driver had ruby red eyes that glared through the windshield like lasers.

Or, the fact that Miriam, for whatever reason, was currently locked inside of said car against her will.

She was almost relieved when Eliot finally broke the silence. 

“Where are we going?”  He snarled to Lizzie, who—despite everything—seemed totally at ease.  She was smiling; Miriam could see her pale face reflected in the side-view mirror.

It was as if they had just come from a candy shop rather than a hospital—where, as of two days ago, she had been lying motionless on the permanent coma floor. 

“The house of course,” she replied in that wispy voice. 

“The house?”  Eliot’s scoff echoed throughout the back seat like a gunshot. 

Miriam had to clutch her seatbelt as the car jerked sharply to the right, as he  ripped his gaze away for the road to glare at his sister. 

“Are you insane?”

 “Of course, darling,” Lizzie replied breezily. “But, I’ve already paid off the mortgage.”

Eliot didn’t really seem to care about something as trivial as money.  The dark look he shot Lizzie from over his shoulder was searing enough to melt steel. 

 “What the hell are you planning Alazzdria—”

 “Lizzie,” the girl corrected sternly.  “Remember?”

Miriam didn’t miss the way she inclined her head sharply to the back seat—almost as if to say; watch what you say around her.

She didn’t miss the way Eliot’s gaze flickered up to the rear-view mirror either.  Those amber eyes met hers grimly in the glass.  He frowned, as if remembering she was even there. 

 “Fine,” he growled, wrenching the steering wheel so that the car swerved back to the center. 

 “Excellent!”  Lizzie clapped her hands like a spoiled child and beamed.  “They wouldn’t dare attack so soon anyway,” she added smugly.  “You know they have to follow their silly little protocols.”

Somehow, Miriam figured that she wasn't just talking about doctors or the hospital staff.  

Not for the first time, she wondered just what the hell was going on.