Chapter 30

*blah, blah, blah, I suck at editing, point out mistakes, blah, blah, blah*

Also, I'm going back through and adding some music to a couple of chapters.  If you have a song that you think would fit this one (or any of your favorites) let me know!*

Chapter 30

__________________

‘Detention’ consisted of dragging all of the gym equipment out of the moldy supply closet and cleaning them off with a wash rag and a bottle of disinfectant. 

“I want it all spotless,” Carl, the assistance coach explained, dropping a sack of volleyballs at her feet.

He glanced over the piles of balls, nets and gear—and then up at her—with a dark expression she didn’t like. 

“You can leave when you’re finished,” he added gruffly.   “Though don’t expect that to be anytime soon—there’s still the field hockey equipment out in the shed.”

Deliberately, he pulled a silver key from around his neck and dangled it in the air between them. 

Miriam didn’t know why…but her throat lurched as she reached out, placing the slender object on the middle of her palm. 

“Alright,” she said, biting back a sigh. 

Coach Carl looked as though he wanted to say something else.  Those dark eyes jabbed into hers, almost suspiciously as if he was waiting for her to do or say something. 

When she didn’t, he merely let the key drop into her hand with a cold frown. 

“Don’t leave until every bit of gear is spick and span,” he reinforced gruffly.  “If not, it’s another detention; and trust me, you don’t want to know what that has in store.”

Miriam shifted uneasily on her feet, closing her fingers around the key.  “I understand.”

He still didn’t look satisfied—almost disappointed instead.

Like he wanted her to argue; give him another reason to punish her.

But without another word he turned on his heel and marched from the gym on a cloud of annoyance. 

Well, Miriam thought on a sigh as she glanced around the empty gym.  At least I don’t have to spend most of the night alone again…

In my room, she added as a sweeping janitor passed by the gym entrance, not sparing her any attention. 

Not that the partially deserted school building was any better.  She was just as alone here as anywhere else—but at least it was a different set of four walls surrounding her as she mulled over the latest thought dominating her mind. 

For the first time, in maybe years, she was worried about something other than the threat of a seizure.  Maybe for the first time since her mother…

“I’m pathetic,” she scolded herself, shaking her head.

In an effort to distract her mind, she reached for the sack of volley balls and got to work wiping them down with the moldy wash-rag. 

It didn’t help. 

Not one damn bit. 

The milky white surface reminded her all too well of the exact color of someone’s skin.  A certain someone who seemed to be…ignoring her, for lack of a better word.